No subject

Fri Jul 8 22:00:42 PDT 2005

>Hello,
>
>This is an interesting development.  Zulu, a virus writer from South
>America, appears to have discovered that Adobe PDF files can be used to
>carry computer viruses.

Richard (and everyone):

What this means is that virus scanners will now need to "reach inside"
PDFs to scan encapsulated files. But what -- as I'm sure our Russian
friend Dmitri would ask -- if the PDF is encrypted? Wouldn't the
virus checker have to defeat the encryption to see the encapsulated
file? And would it be an illegal "circumvention" mechanism if it did?

--Brett