[Seth-Trips] CIPA Protest, Pleasanton, Friday, April 20

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sat Apr 7 15:26:46 PDT 2001

http://www.eff.org/br/br1.html

If you've been itching lately to participate in a technology-related
political demonstration, you'll have a chance on April 20; the EFF and
ACLU of Northern California are holding a protest against the Children's
Internet Protection Act.

Isn't it awful that legislators get to name their own legislation?
The "Children's Internet Protection Act" is so difficult to oppose,
just because of its _name_.  (In fact, the flyer announcing this
protest doesn't even mention the name of the legislation in question!)
But you can oppose it anyway; this is the bill that ties E-Rate
subsidies for public schools and libraries to use of censorware.  It's
currently being challenging in court, and it takes effect on April 20
(I think), which is why the protest.

The event will be at noon at the FCC office at 5653 Stoneridge Drive
#105 in Pleasanton; the flyer I have says that this is nearby the
Pleasanton BART station.

It's good that the EFF has come around on this; in 1996 or so, it
briefly supported censorware.  I think Seth Finkelstein deserves
credit for convincing the EFF that this wasn't such a good it.

(The law is also sometimes called "CHIPA"; it shouldn't be confused
with the Children's On-line Protection Act (COPA) or the Children's
On-line Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).)

... I wish someone would pass an "... Internet Protection Act" that
was dedicated to protecting the Internet!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I