[Seth-Trips] SF County Transportation Authority Open House Monday 6/16

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jun 16 11:38:17 PDT 2003

begin  Don Marti Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:21:28AM -0700:
>
> > 	That's a good question.  San Francisco, Honolulu, and maybe
> > one other American city have unified city/county borders.
>
> Indianapolis annexed its entire county in 1970.
> http://www.sprawlwatch.org/regionalannex.html

	That's the one I was thinking of!

	San Francisco merged the City and County with the Hawes Act of
1856, as an attempt to reduce corruption by reducing the number of
politicians.  At the same time, we shrank the new combined border to
where it is now, creating South San Francisco in the newly-shrunk
North end of San Mateo County.  I believe San Francisco was in San
Mateo County up until that point.

	I had a package get sent to the FedEx routing station in South
City once.  I called them up to complain, and they didn't pay any
attention to me until I said "Look, South San Francisco isn't even in
San Francisco COUNTY!"

	I think the city of LA actually has its toes in many different
counties, doesn't it?

--

end