[Seth-Trips] SF County Transportation Authority Open House Monday 6/16

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jun 16 21:37:18 PDT 2003

begin  The ASCII Floating Head of Seth David Schoen  quotation:
> Nick Moffitt writes:
>
> > Wow, I got my geek on, rail-wise.  That open house was super cool.
> > One of the most ambitious plans seems to revolve around turning the
> > transbay terminal into a sort of Grand Central for the whole area.
>
> I heard about a plan to bring CalTrain out there and to connect the
> Embarcadero BART to the terminal by a tunnel.

	Yep.  They plan to bury caltrain and build a six-story
building to bring it back to its key system glory.  It's currently at
around 1/3 the capacity it had in the 40s.

	The key to the project is to secure funds from the big
LA-to-SF bullet train project.  That seems to be driving everyone's
expansion these days.  SF has wanted a rail nexus like this since the
gold spike was driven at Promontory Point, Utah.

--

end