[Seth-Trips] The Century of the Self, 7p, this week, Roxie, SF

Aaron Swartz aaronsw at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 10:34:29 PST 2005

I recently saw (via BitTorrent), Adam Curtis's amazing BBC documentary
on the "war on terrorism", entitled "The Power of Nightmares". It
definitely one of the best documentary's I've seen, and a lot better
than many normal movies. Curtis manages to find the most amazing
archival BBC footage of famous people going about their lives which
manages to transport you to whatever time and place he's discussing.
His sense of music and pacing is impeccable, and his concepts show you
historical events in a whole new light.

After I saw "Nightmares", I immediately said to myself "I have to see
everything else this man has ever made." And -- just my luck -- the
San Francisco Independent Film Festival is showing his previous film,
The Century of the Self, this week. It looks fantastic -- I strongly
advise you to attend, if only because it is one of the few films to
discuss Edward Bernays.

A four-hour British documentary which ponders the impact Freud's
theories had on 20th century culture, particularly the way
psychological ideas muddied the distinctions between consumerism,
politics, democracy and advertising.
 -- Dennis Harvey, Variety

 "A fascinating viewpoint...there's nary a dull moment between
wonderful archival clips and an extraordinary interview roster that
encompasses strategists Dick Morris and Philip Gould, actress Celeste
Holm (who shared Marilyn Monroe's psychiatrist), est founder Werner
Erhardt, Mario Cuomo, surviving relatives of Freud and Bernaise, and
many others."
 -- SF Bay Guardian <http://www.sfbg.com/39/13/x_list_film.html>

We live today in a society dominated by the self and its feelings.  To
'be oneself' is no longer considered selfish but healthy and virtuous.
THE CENTURY OF THE SELF shows how this revolution in how we see
ourselves happened over the past 100 years. It asks if this has really
been a liberation of the self or if it has just made us more
vulnerable to being manipulated and controlled by those in power? To
many in both politics and business this triumph of the self is the
ultimate expression of democracy  power has finally moved to the
people. This series examines the validity of that idea while
recounting the extraordinary role members of the Freud family have
played in fostering and encouraging this irresistible rise of the
self, from Sigmund to Matthew.

Directed, written and produced by Adam Curtis. 2004 United Kingdon.
DV. Running time: 240 minutes.

Showtimes: Nightly at 7:00 pm. Additional Saturday, Sunday & Wednesday
matinees at 2:00.

http://www.roxie.com/Dec04.html#century