[svfig-announce] Announce: Meeting: 2003 December 12

Juggler Vain jv at zork.net
Wed Dec 10 12:05:26 PST 2003

Saturday, December 13, 2003 Second Saturday

Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Dr, Sunnyvale, CA

09:45		Starbucks Coffee, Tea, Bagels, and Pastries

10:00		MIDI Music - Tim Duncan
Tim will demonstrate all three parts of the MIDI implementation: MIDI
input, MIDI output, and interrupt-based timing.

11:40		David Frech - Coming Attractions - MuForth

A close relative of colorforth, it has the following features:

(a) a kernel, written in C, that is the smallest possible kernel
capable of compiling Forth colon definitions (ie, it is self-
bootstrapping);
(b) a simple native-code compiler;
(c) a tail-recursive implementation;
(d) a new parser, tokenizer, and interpreter;
(e) colorforth's terseness but implemented without color and without
reinventing the OS.

He'll tell us a little bit about his new Forth project to whet our
appetites for a more complete description coming in January.

12:00		Lunch - on your own: Togos or other local eateries

13:00		Introductions, Announcements, Rumors, and Gossip

13:30		Jef Raskin's Challenge - CH Ting
Jef Raskin's Programming Challenge was introduced at Forth Day last
month. A part of the Challenge was to create a Forth word that
indicates whether any single key or combination of keys are being
pressed at the moment the keyboard is polled. Ting will discuss his
solution: an 8051-based experimental board, special keyboard, and
Forth software that sends 16 bytes of keyboard information. (Jef
Raskin himself will talk about the Challenge in January when he is
scheduled to present.)

14:20		SVFIG and NewFIG, where are we going? - Kevin Appert
Kevin has a lengthy shopping list of plans and projects to discuss.

15:10		Hot Buttons - Group Discussion lead by Kevin Appert
"What's all this about license agreements for toner cartridges? Who
owns that CD in your closet and why can't you sell it if you want to?
Support is terrible! Microsoft is attempting to take over the world!
My copy of Quickbooks just turned itself off! Bring your favorite
gripes and grievances."

16:00		Adjourn After meeting...

... possible dinner at a location to be determined.

Anyone who would present at an SVFIG meeting may contact Kevin Appert
<forther at comcast.net>.