[svfig-announce] SVFIG Meeting - February 26 - Computer History Museum

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 17:06:50 PST 2005

****** This meeting will NOT be at Cogswell ******
****** This month only we will be at the Computer History Museum in
Mountain View ******

Also, please note that this announcement is a little early - 17 days before
the 26th- in the hope that you'll be able to join us for this very special
event.  As usual, there will only be this one announcement to this email
list this month.

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

SVFIG  Meeting Agenda for Saturday, February 26, 2005
This month only we will be at the Computer History Museum,  1401 N.
Shoreline Blvd. ,  Mountain View
Directions are here
http://www.computerhistory.org/about/directions/Shoreline_TourEvents_Direction/

Will there be surprises?  Yes!
This schedule should be considered flexible.  We may have to rearrange
things to accommodate the CHM and its other visitors.

9:45  - "A Jolly Nice Cup of Coffee" (Lionel Hardcastle from 'As Time Goes By')
       This may be held out in the parking lot unless we promise to be tidy!

10:00 --- Sellam Ismail --- SOFTWARE FOR POSTERITY
      Sellam is the newly minted Curator of Software at the Computer
History Museum.  He'll describe his role and the direction the CHM is
taking in preserving the source,  executables and even the experience of
historical and soon-to-be historical software.

12:00  --- LUNCH
Walk to the Togo's across the street or bring your own.  Tidiness still
essential.

1:00  INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS  (may be
curtailed to make more time for tours)
Elections?
Changing to every other month?  Quarterly?  Annual?
Speaker Suggestions?
What's for lunch next time?  Maybe we order Armadillo Willy's via Waiters
on Wheels?  Pizza?

1:30  (maybe earlier!)  CHM Visible Storage Tours

3:00 	C. H. Ting --- PEEL AND WinPLACE
Ting is studying the Programmable Electrically Erasable Logic Array (PEEL)
PA7540 which has 40 logic cells and a 42x84 product term array.  It is
quite powerful and he intends to use it to replace the digital logic chips
in his DSO design.  Anachip (ICT) makes this series of CPLD's with GAL's
and other chips.  The most interesting stuff is the design and simulation
tools WinPLACE, which can be downloaded free from www.anachip.com.

4:00   Al Mitchell --- FORTH-BASED WEB GADGET
     The long-awaited first application for AMR's 8051 Forth-based Web
Gadget!  You can have a look at a gadget yourself
at  http://www.amresearch.com:2006
May not be up at all times during the day but should be up every evening.

5:00   AND THEN THERE WAS BEER AND FOOD
Tied House?

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other notes:
No wireless Internet access is expected at CHM.
If you would like to present at a SVFIG meeting, email me, Kevin
Appert  forther at com-you-know-the-rest.com  (see the return address)
 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At Future Meetings:
	Math Secrets of Mosaic:  An algorithm is better than a poke in the eye
with a sharp matrix any day.
	Charley Shattuck  - maybe ColorForth?
	Forth Day 2005 in Anaheim?
	Al Mitchell,  Forth-Based Ethernet Gadgets  http://www.amresearch.com/
	Tour of Computer History Museum at new digs  http://www.computerhistory.org/
	Smart Dust
	A USB Device Enumerator in SwiftForth
	PID - Is it right for me?
	SVFIG meeting or meeting fragments as Webcast
	Kevin complaining that there are no speakers to be had
	George the Robot Seller from MondoTronics (this droid speaks 237 human
languages but does no actual usefull work)
	What happened with the Space Rated Forth Chip?  (not the Harris thing, the
other one)
	Forth-based mass-market appliance computers  --- Cat and/or QX10