[svfig-announce] SVFIG Meeting July 23, BBQ Meeting

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 10:37:18 PDT 2005

July barbecue!   And Forth!!  ... I hope you can come.

email to geoperry at gmail.com  Note that the pithiest puns are deleted before
I send this to the Announce list.

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.  If this doesn't
reach you, then you aren't reading this anyway.

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRELIMINQUARY SVFIG  Meeting Agenda for Saturday, July 23,  2005
At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.cogswell.edu

9:45  - "A Jolly Nice Cup of Coffee" (Lionel Hardcastle from 'As Time Goes By')

10:00 - C. H. Ting  --- DIGITAL OSCILLOSCOPE PROJECT
   	"Digital Storage Oscilloscope (DSO) project update:  I
	got the prototype PCB back and have all the surface
	mount parts installed.  However, nothing seems to work
	yet.  I will keep on probing these board and report
	whatever I will find in this meeting."

12:00  --- LUNCH
     BARBECUE!!!  So "bone" up on your 'queuing theory.

1:00  INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS
Changing to every other month?  Quarterly?  Annual?
Speaker Suggestions?
What's for lunch in August?  Maybe we order Armadillo Willy's via Waiters
on Wheels?  Pizza?

1:30  -   ELECTIONS
          If you can't be there consider sending a proxy.  Last-minute
nominations will be accepted.

2:00  - Kevin Appert --- MORE FREE STUFF (AS IN NO COST)
	Xenu - a freeware link-checker which may prove invaluable for maintaining
hyperlinks.
		--> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
	CSDIFF	  available for download here
		--> http://www.componentsoftware.com/Products/CSDiff/
		Did I mention it was free?
	No Nags and other Freeware and Shareware resources.
		--> http://www.nonags.com/
	Free Credit Report (please don't go to FreeCreditReport.com unless you are
interested in
	trying out their NOT-free credit monitoring service)

3:00  - David Jaffe --- POCKET USB OSCILLOSCOPES AND JALBUM DEMO
        	Dave will present two topics for the price of one!  A review of
the Gansle USB Oscilloscope
	article --> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160902529
	and a demo of Jalbum --> http://jalbum.net/

3:30   PLANNING FORTH DAY
	Forth Day is Coming - What can you do to help?  Speak or suggest a speaker!

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed) at
Cogswell, so bring your wifi.
 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you would like to present at a SVFIG meeting, email me, Kevin
Appert  forther at com-you-know-the-rest.com  (see the return address)
 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At Future Meetings:
	August - Success Stories, we'll look at the ones on Dave's page and on
Forth Inc.'s and BRING YOUR OWN!
		- TI's free SPICE distribution
		- JV hasn't been asked but maybe he'll discuss his recently installed
LINUX distro.  He says it "Rox like Sox in a Box!"

Coming Soon (or not) / Suggestions welcome / Express enthusiasm or I'll
assume nobody's interested...
	"Name That Antenna" We see lots every day ... what are they for?  Am I
being spied on?  Will Ricochet ever return?
	Intro to Linux   --- can you talk to your wifi print server?   What kind
of modem do you need to buy or is that an issue now?
	Is anyone interested in having a Linux installation party?  Bring a few
desktop boxes in and maybe invite in an expert or two.
	Math Secrets of Mosaic:  An algorithm is better than a poke in the eye
with a sharp matrix any day.
	Charley Shattuck  - maybe ColorForth?
	Smart Dust (Dave Jaffe, how about you?   Or maybe you can coordinate a
visit from the Smart Dust folks?)
	A USB Device Enumerator in SwiftForth
	PID - Is it right for me?
	SVFIG meeting or meeting fragments as Webcast
	George the Robot Seller from MondoTronics (this droid speaks 237 human
languages but does no actual useful work)
	What happened with the Space Rated Forth Chip?  (not the Harris thing, the
other one)
	Forth-based mass-market appliance computers  --- Cat and/or QX10