[svfig-announce] SVFIG Meeting - June 25, 2005

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 10:19:20 PDT 2005

Just a nice normal SVFIG meeting ... I hope you can come.

email to geoperry at gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.  If this doesn't
reach you, then you aren't reading this anyway.

SVFIG  Meeting Agenda for Saturday, June 25, 2005
At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.cogswell.edu

9:45  - "A Jolly Nice Cup of Coffee" (Lionel Hardcastle from 'As Time Goes By')

10:00 - C. H. Ting  --- TingARM
      "For the June meeting, I will talk about the TingARM single
chip/single board computer.  I had one board working, and 3 boards
built.  I will demonstrate this board, particularly the ADC and DAC
functions.  I will also have a few DSO boards.  If I can get some DSO
functions working, I will also show them in the meeting."

12:00  --- LUNCH
      Togo's or bring your own.

1:00  INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS
Changing to every other month?  Quarterly?  Annual?
Speaker Suggestions?
What's for lunch in August?  Maybe we order Armadillo Willy's via Waiters
on Wheels?  Pizza?

1:30  -   Nominations
      If you can't be there consider sending a proxy.

2:00  - Kevin Appert --- Free (as in no-cost) Software
	Listening to Podcasts with or without an Ipod
	Getting started rolling your own podcasts (software, service providers and
so on)
	PDF Creation with Gostscript and PDF995 (Free is cheeper than Acrobat)
	No-Nags Website and other resources
	HTML Photo Albums with JAlbum (it's not just for the Internet any
more.  I'm sending picture-CDs to family and friends as an alternative to
putting them online)

3:00 - George Perry --- Options in Networking to Friends and Colleagues
       (I was unable to close the loop with JV - I apologize to him and to
the group if he does not want to present this month.  At last count I was
still twisting his arm.)
Linked-In, Gmail and other services are presenting opportunities to find
and network with people who share our interests.  Is it worth the trade-off
in fiddling with the thing and the privacy risks?  Who owns your
communications and the ideas they represent?  Who gets to see this
stuff?   Who gets your email address?

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed) at
Cogswell, so bring your wifi.
 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you would like to present at a SVFIG meeting, email me, Kevin
Appert  forther at com-you-know-the-rest.com  (see the return address)
 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At Future Meetings:

July
Somebody mentioned a Barbecue so bone up on your 'queuing theory.
SVFIG Elections

Coming Soon (or not)
	Math Secrets of Mosaic:  An algorithm is better than a poke in the eye
with a sharp matrix any day.
	Charley Shattuck  - maybe ColorForth?
	Forth Day 2005 in Anaheim?
	Smart Dust
	A USB Device Enumerator in SwiftForth
	PID - Is it right for me?
	SVFIG meeting or meeting fragments as Webcast
	Kevin complaining that there are no speakers to be had
	George the Robot Seller from MondoTronics (this droid speaks 237 human
languages but does no actual useful work)
	What happened with the Space Rated Forth Chip?  (not the Harris thing, the
other one)
	Forth-based mass-market appliance computers  --- Cat and/or QX10