[svfig-announce] SVFIG Meeting --- August 25

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Thu Aug 23 22:52:25 BST 2007

Sorry it's late this month, stuff happened. The meeting was
nearly cancelled.   Send me an email or ask at the meeting
and I'll burden you with the details. --- Kevin A.

SVFIG Meeting August 25, 2007 --- this Saturday

At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA

*** SEE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SECURITY RULES
AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE ***

Main page --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu>>>
Directions --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu/directions2campus.html>>>

We are likely to be in our usual room - 197 A and 197 B
Marked in red on this floorplan:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/room-map.jpg>>>

AGENDA

09:45  --- COFFEE AND A CHAT

10:15 --- FLOATING POINT MANDELBROT COMPUTATION REVISITED --- CH Ting

    "I will show the Mandelbrot plots done with integer math and with
floating
    point math using the Floating Point Unit in the Intel processor. I
am learning
    HTML, and will do the presentation in HTML. Mandelbrot plots are
great for the
    background of HTML webpages. I have also learned how to add
background music to
    the webpages."

NOON --- LUNCH
Some folks bring their lunch, some folks go to Togos.

13:00 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS

13:15 --- INTERESTING ITEMS - VOLUME 8 --- Dave Jaffe
    Dave will continue his survey of interesting newly-introduced
    microcontrollers, I/O peripherals, sensors, products, and gadgets
    that can provide useful and unique capabilities to Forth embedded
    systems. If anyone has come across anything that fits this
    category, pass them along to him for inclusion in his presentation.

13:30 --- AUDIBLE COMPUTING --- Masa Kasahara
    What would happen if we only rely on our hearing when using a
    computer?  Masa will discuss his project to use Forth to provide an
    audible interface to a minimal computer,  just a motherboard with
    firmware.  He'll describe his thinking and his goals and solicit advice
    from the group.

13:55 --- BREAK

14:15 --- TWO-STACK DESIGN FROM CPU CLASS --- John Rible
    "I'll describe the architecture of the SP2 and its 'hardware threaded
    code.' It's a 16-bit, two-stack, design following Chuck's uP21 family
    of chips. Coded in Verilog, it's meant for inclusion in FPGA projects.
    Bill Muench worked with me to write an eForth compiler for it."

15:45 --- THINK OF SOMETHING FOR NEXT MONTH
  This means you!

16:00 --- ADJORN

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Do not exceed
recommended dosage guidelines.  Any font you like is
okay with me.

No Newsgroup posts or media distribution this month please!

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed)
at Cogswell, so bring your wifi.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coming to SVFIG SOON:
 * Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

 * PLANNING FORTH DAY - EVERY MEETING

 * Andy Korsak has been working on accessing sound cards from
 Forth for amateur radio applications.  His preliminary
 work is posted at the Win32Forth Yahoo group under
 files/users/korsak.  Membership is required to see the files.
 If you don't want to jump through the hoops, Dave has posted
 a recent version of the files here:
    <<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/SoundCardIO.zip>>>

 * The world's second Babbage Engine is coming to town.  Maybe
 we can have a meeting at the Computer History Museum and have
 a look.  Ting should have an E-Forth written for it by then.

NOT Coming to SVFIG SOON:
*Gumstix, Propeller Forth and the Techshop Tour are all off the table
   If you're enthusiastic about any of these, we can discuss it
   at the meeting.

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.
Email me, Kevin Appert,  forther_at_comcast.net  (see the
return address)

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT GETTING INTO THE MEETING ***

  Cogswell in cooperation with DHS, ICE and BATFFCAPB* now
secures its doors on weekends. There will be an SVFIG member
stationed at the door from 9:45 am to 10:15  to let in recognized
attendees. If you are attending an SVFIG meeting for the first
time, please bring along a printout of the agenda to identify
your interest in Forth and gain admission. If you arrive after
10:15 AM there will be a number for you to call to alert someone
of your presence at the door. The front door will also be checked
at intervals of 20 to 30 minutes to accommodate those without
cellphones.  Those attempting to signal with semaphore or Aldis
Lamp will be sold into the dreary bondage of the Dark Lord of
Bangalore.

VERY IMPORTANT:
  Do not under any circumstances let any stranger past the Cogswell
doors.  Those who are authorized to be inside have key-cards.

*Bureau of Alcohol, Tabasco, Firearms, Fast Cars and Party Boats