[svfig-announce] SVFIG Meeting --- May 26

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue May 22 18:33:27 BST 2007

SVFIG Meeting May 26  ---  this Saturday --- NOTE THIS IS MEMORIAL DAY
WEEKEND

At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA

*** SEE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT NEW SECURITY RULES AT BOTTOM OF THIS
MESSAGE ***

Main page --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu>>>
Directions --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu/directions2campus.html>>>

We are likely going to be in our usual room - 197 A and 197 B
Marked in red on this floorplan:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/room-map.jpg>>>
AGENDA

10:00  --- COFFEE

10:15  --- The Eternal Sorrow   --- CH Ting
    Ting will show his new movie "The Eternal Sorrow" which
    is a long poem by Po Chu-i of Tang Dynasty on the love
    story of Emperor Ming and Lady Yang.  The music was set
    to the songs in Schubert's Winterreise, which Ting did 10
    years ago.  The video images are taken from a TV series
    on Emperor Ming.  He is putting in subtitles in English
    and in Chinese so we all can enjoy it.

NOON --- LUNCH
Some folks bring their lunch, some folks go to Togos.

13:30 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS

13:45 --- Machine Readable FIG-Forth --- Kevin Appert
    We'd like to make an archive of usable FIG-Forth code available.
    If you have working assembly code *** NOT SCANS *** of the FIG
    listings or derived from the FIG listings, bring or send it in.

14:00 --- MAKER FAIRE 2007 --- Dave Jaffe
Dave will describe the sights and sounds of the Maker Faire held
at the San Mateo Fairgrounds last weekend."--- Dave Jaffe

14:45 --- BREAK

15:00 --- SHAREWARE FREEWARE & TRIALWARE --- All Assembled
    Bring in the name of your favorite bit of download. Anything
    from violin tuners to packet sniffers is fair game.

15:45 --- THINK OF SOMETHING FOR NEXT MONTH
     This means you!

16:00 --- ADJORN

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Do not exceed
recommended dosage guidelines.  Any font you like is
okay with me.  I prefer Ariel.

No Newsgroup posts or media distribution this month please!

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed)
at Cogswell, so bring your wifi.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coming to SVFIG SOON:
    * Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

Coming to SVFIG SOON:
   Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

   *GUMSTIX

   *PLANNING FORTH DAY - EVERY MEETING

   *Propeller Forth - the guy who wrote this is local but he hasn't
        responded to email.  We'll keep trying.

   *Tour of TechShop NOW PLANNING FOR JUNE BUT STILL TENTATIVE.
        Note that there are interesting talks there from time to time.
        <<<http://techshop.ws/Events.html>>>

   *Don Roberts has some talks in the works:
        First, I've been implementing a re-factored version of
        Ting's P16 tailored for Spartan FPGAs, coded in VHDL.
        Right now it "works" in simulation.

        Second, I've been thinking about a talk to follow up
        Ting's thoughts about minimal instruction sets.  This
        includes my first hands-on experience; a 4-biter with
        a whopping 7 opcodes from the late 1960s.

    *Andy Korsak has been working on accessing sound cards from
    Forth for amateur radio applications.  His preliminary
    work is posted at the Win32Forth Yahoo group under
    files/users/korsak.  If you don't want to jump through
    the hoops, drop Kevin or Dave a line and we might post
    it on the SVFIG site.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmeister, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.
Email me, Kevin Appert,  forther_at_comcast.net  (see the
return address)

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT GETTING INTO THE MEETING ***

     Cogswell in cooperation with DHS, ICE and BATFFCAPB* now
secures its doors on weekends. There will be an SVFIG member
stationed at the door from 10am to 10:15am to let in recognized
attendees. If you are attending an SVFIG meeting for the first
time, please bring along a printout of the agenda to identify
your interest in Forth and gain admission. If you arrive after
10:15am, there will be a number for you to call to alert someone
of your presence at the door. The front door will also be checked
at intervals of 20 to 30 minutes to accommodate those without
cellphones.  Those attempting to signal with semaphore or Aldis
Lamp will be barred from attending last month's meeting.

VERY IMPORTANT:
     Do not under any circumstances let any stranger past the Cogswell
doors.
Those who are authorized to be inside have key-cards.

 *Bureau of Alcohol, Tabasco, Firearms, Fast Cars and Party Boats