[svfig-announce] Forth Day November 17

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 18:36:29 GMT 2007

SVFIG Forth Day November 17, 2007 --- this Saturday

At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA

*** SEE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SECURITY RULES
AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE ***

Main page --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu>>>
Directions --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu/directions2campus.html>>>

We are likely to be in our usual room - 197 A and 197 B
Marked in red on this floorplan:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/room-map.jpg>>>

AGENDA
Please note that the times below are precise but not
necessarily accurate.  Also,  there may be extra time
at the end of the day allowing more time for some of
the speakers.  There is no way to know in advance.

09:30  --- COFFEE AND NETWORKING

09:55 --- CHAIRMAN'S WELCOME --- George Perry

10:00 --- F# TUTORIAL --- CH Ting
    "I will give a short presentation on the implementation of F#
    and how to use it in Windows applications. I will demonstrate
    a number of applications to show how F# makes use of Forth
    in a Windows environment."

10:30 --- AUDIBLE COMPUTING, PART III  --- Masa Kasahara
    Masa will discuss the other reason behind his project and how
    Forth might play an entirely different role in computer language
    history.

11:00 --- FORTH MICROCONTROLLER FOR EDUCATION AND ROBOTICS --- Glen
Reuschling
    Glen will report on his recent progress in building an
    FPGA-based Forth microcontroller with an integral
    USB host controller. He'll also present plans for using
    the controller in science education and robotics.

11:10 --- PORTABLE EMBEDDED FORTH APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT --- Leon Wagner
    "I will demonstrate the development, debugging, and
    testing of a very simple embedded application using the
    SwiftX development environment. I will then show how
    this application can be moved across a variety of target
    hardware platforms with minimum modification."

NOTE: Leon will be bringing copies of the newly revised Forth
Programmer's Handbook - 3rd Edition for sale for $35 (cash or check is a
sure thing, credit cards okay IFF wifi is available)

12:10 --- BBQ Lunch Catered by CH Ting
Afternoon Session

13:00 --- INTELLASYS SESSION
    * Synthesized Sound on SEAforth24: Guitar, Bach, and More - Michael
Montvelishsky
    * Running Identical Code on Multiple Platforms without Conditional
Compilation - Bill Muench
    * IntellaSys Utility which Translates Both Ways between ColorForth
and (ASCII) Machine Forth - John Rible
    * One Way to Execute Very Long Programs on a SEAforth Chip - Charley
Shattuck
    * Port Streams: Telling Multiple Processors What To Do - Randy
Leberknight
    * Jeff's Ramble - Jeff Fox

15:00 --- Fireside Chat - Chuck Moore

16:00 --- Adjourn

17:00 --- Dinner at a local restaurant (venue to be determined)

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Any font you like is
okay with me.

No Newsgroup posts or media distribution this month please!

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed)
at Cogswell, so bring your wifi.

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at an SVFIG meeting.
Email me, Kevin Appert,  forther_at_comcast.net  (see the
return address)

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT GETTING INTO THE MEETING ***

Cogswell  now secures its doors on weekends. There will be an
SVFIG member at the door unless he's gone to get coffee or pee
because he's had too much coffee.  After the meeting starts, there
may or may not be a doorman to let you in so please try to get
there before the start.  If you are attending an SVFIG meeting
for the first time, please bring along a printout of the agenda to
identify your interest in Forth and gain admission. If there is no
doorman after 10:00 AM there will be a number for you to call
to alert someone of your presence at the door.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Do not under any circumstances let any stranger past the Cogswell
doors.  Those who are authorized to be inside have key-cards.