[svfig-announce] Sept 22 Meeting

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 23:36:26 BST 2007

SVFIG Meeting September 22, 2007 --- this Saturday

At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA

*** SEE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SECURITY RULES
AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE ***

Main page --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu>>>
Directions --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu/directions2campus.html>>>

We are likely to be in our usual room - 197 A and 197 B
Marked in red on this floorplan:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/room-map.jpg>>>

AGENDA
09:45  --- COFFEE AND A CHAT

10:15 ---  SIMPLE EFFECTIVE HTML --- C H Ting
"Anyone interested in HTML? I can share my very limited experience in
building the new Offete Website. I am taking the simplest approach to
organize the pages. I only used about 20-30 tags and I think that's all
one has to know to start a web site."

NOON --- LUNCH
Some folks bring their lunch, some folks go to Togos.

13:00 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS

13:30 --- LAFARR'S STEEL-CUT UNSIEVED PRIMES  --- LaFarr Stuart
LaFarr is widely regarded as a master practitioner of fast, efficient
Assembly Code.  He will demonstrate and discuss an incredibly
economical method for generating primes and other programming gems.

14:40 --- BREAK

15:00  --- AUDIBLE COMPUTING, PART II --- Masa Kasahara
What would happen if we only relied on our hearing when using a
computer? Masa
will continue his experiment based on the feedbacks received in the
previous talk.
He will discuss Prototype 1 in detail.  He will also touch upon his view
on human
and computer languages inspired by Ting's two papers on computers and Zen.

16:00 --- ADJORN

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Any font you like is
okay with me.

No Newsgroup posts or media distribution this month please!

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed)
at Cogswell, so bring your wifi.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coming to SVFIG SOON:
* Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

* PLANNING FORTH DAY - EVERY MEETING

* Andy Korsak has been working on accessing sound cards from
Forth for amateur radio applications.  His preliminary
work is posted at the Win32Forth Yahoo group under
files/users/korsak.  Membership is required to see the files.
If you don't want to jump through the hoops, Dave has posted
a recent version of the files here:
   <<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/SoundCardIO.zip>>>

* The world's second Babbage Engine is coming to town.  Maybe
we can have a meeting at the Computer History Museum and have
a look.  Ting should have an E-Forth written for it by then.

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.
Email me, Kevin Appert,  forther_at_comcast.net  (see the
return address)

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT GETTING INTO THE MEETING ***

 Cogswell  now secures its doors on weekends. There will be an
SVFIG member stationed at the door before the meeting to let you
in. If you are attending an SVFIG meeting for the first
time, please bring along a printout of the agenda to identify
your interest in Forth and gain admission. If you arrive after
10:15 AM there will be a number for you to call to alert someone
of your presence at the door. The front door will also be checked
at intervals of 20 to 30 minutes to accommodate those without
cellphones.

VERY IMPORTANT:
 Do not under any circumstances let any stranger past the Cogswell
doors.  Those who are authorized to be inside have key-cards.