[svfig-announce] Meeting April 26, 2008

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 22:45:13 BST 2008

Urgent Note:
****Nobody has volunteered to pick up coffee for the meeting.  If you'd
like to do this essential job, please call Dave Jaffe at 650.892.4464
and tell him so we don't get duplicates.  I suggest you call Starbucks
the night before or at least an hour before on the day of the SVFIG
meeting.  *****

SVFIG Meeting April 26, 2008, 2008 --- this Saturday

At Cogswell College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA

*** SEE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SECURITY ***
*** RULES AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE ***

Main page --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu>>>
Directions --> <<<http://www.cogswell.edu/directions2campus.html>>>

We are likely to be in our usual room - 197 A and 197 B
Marked in red on this floor plan:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/room-map.jpg>>>

  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AGENDA
09:45  --- COFFEE AND A CHAT

10:10 ---  FORTH DAY 2008
Suggest a speaker or volunteer to speak!

10:15 --- eFORTH ON OLIMEX SAM7-EX256 ARM BOARD --- C.H. Ting
"I just got eForth running on an Olimex board with an AT91SAM7X256 ARM7
chip. This chip is interesting because it has 64 Kbytes of RAM, 256
Kbytes of flash, and an 8 MHz ADC. The Olimex development board includes
a small color LCD display. It should be a good host for my digital
storage oscilloscope project. I will talk about my efforts and
demonstrate the software."

NOON --- LUNCH
Some folks bring their lunch, some folks go to Togos.

13:00 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS

13:30 --- COOL STUFF AT THE EMBEDDED SYSTEMS CONFERENCE --- Dave Jaffe
Dave will describe some of the cool products that impressed him at this
year's Embedded Systems Conference.

15:00 --- RANDOM ACCESS
We always find _something_ to talk about.

16:00 --- ADJORN

  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Any font you like is
alright with me.

No Newsgroup posts or other media distribution this month please!

  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed)
at Cogswell, so bring your wifi.

  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming to SVFIG:
* Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

* PLANNING FORTH DAY 2008 - EVERY MEETING

* Andy Korsak has been working on accessing sound cards from
Forth for amateur radio applications.  His preliminary
work is posted at the Win32Forth Yahoo group under
files/users/korsak.  Membership is required to see the files.
If you don't want to jump through the hoops, Dave has posted
a recent version of the files here:
   <<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/SoundCardIO.zip>>>

* The world's second Babbage Engine is being put together NOW at the
Computer History Museum.  Maybe we can have a meeting at the Computer
History Museum and have a look.  We'll be talking about the "One Babbage
Engine Per Child" Project.

 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.
Email me, Kevin Appert,  forther_at_comcast.net  (see the
return address)

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT GETTING INTO THE MEETING ***

Cogswell  now secures its doors on weekends. There will be an
SVFIG member at the door unless he's gone to get coffee or pee
because he's had too much coffee.  He'll only be there BEFORE
the meeting to let you in so please try to get there before the start.
If you are attending an SVFIG meeting for the first time, please
bring along a printout of the agenda to identify your interest in
Forth and gain admission. If you arrive after 10:15 AM there
will be a number for you to call to alert someone of your presence
at the door. The front door will also be checked at intervals of 20
to 30 minutes to accommodate those without cellphones.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Do not under any circumstances let any stranger past the Cogswell
doors.  Those who are authorized to be inside have key-cards.