[svfig-announce] AT STANFORD! Meeting December 20, 2008

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 18:52:45 GMT 2008

Please note the date of the meeting, it's the THIRD Saturday.

--- SVFIG Meeting December 20, 2008 ---

!!! NOT AT COGSWELL !!!
At this point it seems that Stanford will be our regular venue.

We'll be on the fifth floor of Terman Engineering Center --- Room 556
Directions and map links are below.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AGENDA
10:30 --- COFFEE AND A CHAT

11:00 --- MATRIX MULTIPLICATION IN A MASSIVELY PARALLEL PROCESSOR ARRAY
--- CH Ting
"My goal is to perform matrix multiplications of two 1000x1000 matrices.
I think this can be done very fast if I have a processor array with
1000x1000 processing elements and sufficient memory in each element. I
need suggestions on how to invert matrices and diagonalize matrices
(eigen values and eigen vectors). So far, I have not found good ways to
solve linear equation problems with a large processor array. All
available algorithms work well only in serial operations."

NOON --- LUNCH
Due to the holiday Stanford campus closure, we may be carpooling to
lunch venues on University Ave in downtown Palo Alto.

13:30 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, RUMORS, RANDOM ACCESS

13:45 ---SVFIG TREASURER'S REPORT --- John Rible

14:00 --- FORTH DAY 2008 LESSONS LEARNED --- ALL

14:30 --- ROBODEVELOPMENT SHOW --- Dave Jaffe
Dave will present a slide show of this year's hobbyist/trade expo.

15:00 --- IntellaSys CHIPS - John Rible
"I'm proposing that SVFIG buy 50-100 bare chips to resell (may not be
the proper wording for sales taxes, etc.) with enough mark-up to cover
costs of mailing. IntellaSys (CEO Chet Brown) has agreed to sell them to
SVFIG at $20 each if we agree to limit any one person to 10 or less and
accept responsibility for all support / return issues (that's why
they're selling through distributers). This would be in January, after
the chips have been tested."
We'll discuss and decide!  $20 * (50 chips) = $1000.
Is there a market for these?  If you aren't going to be at the meeting,
express your interest NOW! Let us know how many you want either by
posting to the SVFIG list or directly to me at: forther-at-comcast-dot-net

16:00 --- ADJORN

   > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Any font you like is
alright with me.

No Newsgroup posts or other media distribution this month please!

   > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wireless Internet access is anticipated (though not guaranteed) at
Stanford, so bring your wi-fi enabled laptop.

 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming to SVFIG:
* Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

* PLANNING FORTH DAY 2009 - EVERY MEETING

* Andy Korsak has been working on accessing sound cards from
Forth for amateur radio applications.  His preliminary
work is posted at the Win32Forth Yahoo group under
files/users/korsak.  Membership is required to see the files.
If you don't want to jump through the hoops, Dave has posted
a recent version of the files here:
   <<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/SoundCardIO.zip>>>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...

Terman Engineering Center can be found on these maps - just search for
Terman:

Google map http://tinyurl.com/6yg6jf
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Terman+Engineering+Center&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.502405,67.851563&ie=UTF8&ll=37.429342,-122.175951&spn=0.03776,0.066261&z=14

Searchable Stanford Campus Map  http://ucomm.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/map/

There is open parking on weekends. Park in any A or C or metered space.

Take the elevator to the 5th floor. Walk across the foyer and up the
ramp just to the left of the glassed-in office. Room 556 is at the top
of the ramp - entrance on the left.