[svfig-announce] Meeting August 28,2010

Kevin Appert forther at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 17:57:47 BST 2010

--- SVFIG Meeting, Fourth Saturday, August 28, 2010 ---

*** MEETING PLACE SAME AS LAST MONTH,  CHANGED SINCE FEBRUARY ***
The meeting will be held on the FIRST OR second floor of Building 550
(aka Peterson Building. Directions and map links are below.

*** DO NOT ASK STANFORD STUDENTS TO LET YOU IN
AND DO NOT ENTER THE BUILDING BEHIND STUDENTS ***

Enter the building from the Panama Mall side.   The door is labeled
"Building 550 - Mechanical Engineering Design Group".
If there isn't someone from SVFIG at the door to let you in, call the
cell phone number on the sign.

The Official SVFIG Announcement Editor's Parking Lot Recommendation is
the lot near the intersection of Teresa St and Lomita Dr.

***WIFI AVAILABLE***
To use Wifi, you will need a guest account.   If you didn't have a guest
account last month and you want to use Wifi, then email Dave Jaffe at:
<dljaffe at stanford.edu>

AGENDA
For late-breaking updates, check the web site:
<<<http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html>>>

At each lull in the action, between talks or before breaks we will be
inviting folks to give short 5-10 minute 'quickies'.  If you'd like to
tell us about something, let Kevin know at the meeting and we'll reserve
the time for you or take your chances that nobody else will grab the slot.

09:50 --- Coffee and a Chat

10:00 --- VHDL Implementation of eP32 --- C.H. Ting
"I have implemented eP32 on several FPGA platforms, including Xilinx,
Altera, and Actel. I will dig up the Altera Stratix II development board
and demonstrate it. The eP32 implementation is now in the public domain
and I can give a detailed presentation. I would like to re-work it,
taking out all the bells and whistles, and return it to the prestine
state where Forth really shines. However, I may not get everything done
by the August meeting."

11:35 --- Quickie

11:45 --- LUNCH
      We will walk to The Treehouse by Tressider Union.
Here is a review:
      <<< http://collegerestaurant.net/default.aspx>>>
Here is the menu:
<<http://library.stanford.edu/depts/physics/related/treehousemenu.html>>

13:00 --- INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, DISCUSSION --- All Assembled
This month we'll go around the room and each introduce ourselves.  If
you've read something interesting, tell us about it!

13:15 --- Field Trip Planning
We've been talking on the email list about a trip up to the Nike Site on
the first Saturday in September.  We'll discuss logistics for that trip
and consider other expeditions, perhaps the FIRST Robotics CalGames in
October. http://www.wrrf.org/

13:30 --- $29 FPGA Board Runs Forth, Part 1 --- John Rible
John talks about his latest (non-GreenArrays) project: porting two forth
cpus and eforth to the Lattice XP2 Brevia demo board.

14:05 --- Quickie

14:10 --- Break

14:20 --- Ascetic Programming --- Samuel A. Falvo II
"Bear with me as I attempt to muddle through explaining why you
shouldn't use object oriented programming in Forth, and how to make up
for the loss using relational techniques."  This will be a preview of
Sam's Forth Day talk with a little more time for side trips and discussion.

15:05 --- Quickie
If nobody steps forward, we may run this 'blast from the past' (just the
Forth part):  <<<http://www.archive.org/details/Programm1984>>>

15:10 --- Archeology - SCADA in Forth - Express in polyFORTH --- Dennis
Ruffer
EXPRESS is Forth, Inc's industrial control software.  Dennis will
provide a tour of the EXPRESS Mix Master demo.
You can read about a few of the places EXPRESS worked here:
http://www.forth.com/starting-forth/sf0/sf0.html

15:55 --- Clean up before you go!

16:00 --- Ok, now you can go.

Please note that the times listed above are precise but not necessarily
ccurate.  We might go a little long or short on any agenda item or
shuffle things on the fly with abandon.  If you're desperate to see
something at a particular time, please let us know!  Remember that there
are bugs in any non-trivial SVFIG meeting announcement.

The schedule above may be reformatted or line-justified but
please transmit verbatim or not at all.   Any font you like is
fine with me.

No Newsgroup posts or other media distribution this month please!

There is NO Public Wireless Internet access at Stanford.
Email Dave Jaffe <dljaffe at stanford.edu> to request a one day
guest account if you didn't have one last month.

Coming to SVFIG:
* FORTH DAY in November 2010!

* Bring speaker suggestions TO EVERY MEETING!

* Mitch Bradley's Forth in C (somebody needs to volunteer)

* Blast from the past - a discussion of John James' CRC from his Xmodem
implementation as enunciated in "Forth Dimensions".

* Furthering the Cause of Forth - John Rible
IntellaSys has imploded, or something.  We'd be pleased to hear about
John's new outreach project when formulated.

* Engineering TV
http://engineeringtv.com/
Fifty engineering topic channels. Four new episodes per week.

Check the SVFIG web site at http://www.forth.org/svfig/
for last minute changes to this schedule.
The most up-to-date meeting information is at
http://www.forth.org/svfig/next.html

Many thanks to our wonderful Webmaster, Dave Jaffe.

Preliminary agenda along with schedule updates and
discussion may frequently be found on the SVFIG email list.
To subscribe send email to geoperry_at_gmail.com

Please let us know if this isn't your preferred email address for the
SVFIG-Announce mailing list.  Thanks for your patience.

Please suggest a speaker or present at a SVFIG meeting.

Please do not attempt to reply to svfig-announce at ...
send instead to forther_at_comcast.net

NAVIGATIONAL ADVICE

Enter the building from the Panama Mall side. (In the event that the
building door is locked, there will either be someone on duty to let you
in or a cellphone number to call.)
-
***DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO PIGGYBACK IN THE DOOR BEHIND
STUDENTS OR ASK STUDENTS TO LET YOU IN***
-
Google Maps does NOT work very well on the Stanford campus, use this
map:  http://ucomm.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/map/
-
Or the Searchable Stanford Campus Map:
http://ucomm.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/map/
-
There is open parking on weekends. Park in any A or C or metered space,
no coins needed even if there's a meter there.  The Official SVFIG