[svfig-open] Windows98/ME USB driver files

Byron Nilsen bnilsen at tsoft.com
Wed Dec 3 01:40:46 PST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John A. Peters wrote:

 Ti's nice to see a poem before Christmas.

 We have found that Googling for the error message is much better than a high
 priced consultant since looking up the prolem on Google is what they do on
 their computer while you are talking  to them.

 Did you have luck yet.  The only trick to it is to use several search
 strings till you find your answer.  It helps to include the work "problem"

 Feel free to "quote" my message when you reply, so I am reminded of what I
 send you that would elicit such a strange yet humorous poetry.  Have you
 been associating with that famous man who signs his name as
 -g
 ?

 JP

Forgive my impish response John.  "Barney Google" was a cartoon character
in the early 20th century.  The strip evolved to become "Barney Google and
Snuffy Smith"  and later became "Snuffy Smith" alone.  Yes, my Dad did
carry me around the house singing this old ditty, it has been buried in my
memory for more than sixty years.  I don't know if the founders of the
very successful search engine are aware of this history.  I read somewhere
that they were pitching their vision to a group of venture capitalists on
Sand Hill Road but did not yet have a name for the company.  One of the
investors ran out to his Masseratti, grabbed his checkbook and wrote a
check for $100,000 to "Google" and thus the name was born.  But to me the
word will always evoke a popeyed little guy with his hands thrust deep in
the pockets of a floor-length overcoat, looking somewhat bewildered at the
world around him.  Just like me I guess.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT:  Just what should I "google"?  Should I enter
"USBNTMAP.SYS" in the box?  I confess that I do not know what an "error
message" is in this context.  I have no idea what "GoogleGroups" might be.
I have never noticed this option on the google web page.  Educate me.

Thanks,

-Byron-