[Taocow PBEM] Chapter IV: The Emerald Isle

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at alberni.net
Fri May 6 12:47:49 PDT 2005

> > [GM]
> > The ship thuds to a halt. A cry comes from the dock, "Permission to come
> > aboard?" which is followed by one of the officers shouting "Aye!"
> >
> > "So," Phaeton says urgently, "do any of you have money? I'd say five or
> > six hundred credits will do."
> > [/GM]

> [Arden]
> Arden shrugs, and honestly says, "I have no real money to speak of,
> Phaeton. I can offer nothing but my personal belongings... still, I
> shall search my person for credits."
> [/Arden]

[GM]
Arden founds a few hundred dollars in black market items, which Phaeton
takes with a nod.
[/GM]

> [Rod Black]
> Rod, who has no trouble with coming up with the money, asks "Who's
> doing the bribing?  Just one of us or do we each have to bribe our own
> way in?"
> [/Rod Black]

> [Alex]
> Alex looks in curiousity what the answer is. She cannot be considered
> wealthy but she can offer a small piece of that jewelry which she was
> able to get earlier.

"I'll do the talking for all of us." Phaeton says.  "We need to leave
quickly, but not make it look as if we're leaving quickly.  We mustn't
raise his suspicions."

Phaeton takes the jewelry from Alex.  "Thank you, my lady." he says.
[/GM]

> [Kyle]
> "Unfortunately I have no money or trade goods.  Oh and I am going to
> put  my SAMAS below deck just in case it makes these inspectors
> nervous."
> [/Kyle]

[GM]
"I wouldn't worry about that too much." Phaeton says.  "Besides, you're
going to have to get it off of here one way or the other.  If you want
my advice, I'd fly out now, keep very close to the water and wait for us
somewhere out of sight, say behind that old fuel shack."  Phaeton points
to a decrepit old building on the pier.  "You should be able to see us
get off."
[/GM]

> [Amanda Connors]
> Slowly moving up to the group, Amanda yawns deeply, but quietly and
> looks out at the ships in the harbor.  Phaeton's question sinks in a
> moment after.  She blinks a few times, then looks at him.
>
> "Credits?"  She opens up her purse and looks inside.  "How much is
> that in US dollars?"  It's clear from her tone that she hasn't got the
> faintest idea what a credit is, or how much it's worth.
> [/Amanda Connors]

[Bongo]
Bongo chuckles.  "If they're in good shape, a collector might pay
something for them, but I don't know if anyone around here would know
that, or even care."

Bongo digs a few credits out and hands them to Phaeton.  "I hope that
helps."
[/Bongo]

[GM]
Phaeton takes the money, jewelry and goods, quickly counts them up and
nods.  "This should be sufficient."  He looks again to Kyle, "The harbor
master will be boarding any moment.
[/GM]

[OOC: I'm assuming here that Kyle takes Phaeton's advice and flies off
now or at least gets out sight.]

[GM]
The harbor master, a short fellow that looks as much like an ogre as
anything else, hops on deck.  He is wearing a patchwork set of armor,
and beside him crawls a small lizard-like creature with six legs on
a heavy looking leash.

"Ah, Phaeton!" the harbor master says.  "Where be the Captain.  I'd
hoped to share some of that brandy with him.

Phaeton sighs.  "I have bad news, sir.  We met with some hard fighting
on the seas, and the Captain died bravely."

The harbor master looks hard at Phaeton, but Phaeton does not flinch.
Then he turns to the company.  "Who are these.  Some don't look like
crew to me."

"These people paid passage from England." Phaeton says.  "They're
looking to spend some time ashore after our... hard voyage."

"I canna let just anyone ashore." the harbor master says, a greedy light
entering his eyes.  "I have to document them, quarantine them until I
can be sure they aren't going t' cause any trouble."

Phaeton hands over the money and goods.  "I hope this covers
everything." he says.  "They'd like to keep things quiet."

The harbor master stuffs the credits in a pocket, and then looks at the
jewelry and the black market items.  "Not bad, not bad." he mutters.
"Still, it makes me uneasy.  Captain dead, strangers aboard.  Perhaps
I could let you all go, if..." he stares at Alex, Lady Frost and Lena,
"if I could spend some time... questioning these fine ladies."

The harbor master leers at the three women in a grotesque manner.