[Taocow PBEM] Chapter IV: The Emerald Isle

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at alberni.net
Fri May 13 12:36:12 PDT 2005

> [Amanda Connors]
> Amanda glares after the deaprting figure of the Harbor Master.  "Looks
> like he's got more than a few pounds of flesh already."
>
> She pauses briefly before answering Bongo with a slight shudder.  "I
> dreamed about old friends.  They  weren't very happy with me."
>
> She slowly turns to Bongo and lets a tired smile cross > her face.
> "Yeah, I'll be alright eventually.  Had a > really long day before I
> got here, and it hasn't gotten much better.  Never had to spend that
> long as Frost in one sitting."
> [/Amanda Connors]

[Bongo]
"Well maybe we can get a little chance to relax."
[/Bongo]

> > [GM]
> > A young boy seems to materialize out of nowhere and comes running
> > up. "Welcome, good sirs and ladies." he says, sweeping off a dirty
> > red hat and bowing.  "Ye look to be newcomers.  Perhaps ye be
> > looking for a wee bit of breakfast, or perhaps something else.
> > Name's Edig, and for a few credits, I'll take you where you want to
> > go!  Fair deal?"
> > [/GM]

> [Amanda Connors]
> "Arden, I think this young man wants to talk to you.  Something about
> credits."
> [/Amanda Connors]

> [Arden]
> Looks over to Amanda and chuckles. "Talk to that man over there." He
> points to Phaeton and grins.
> [/Arden]

[GM]
Phaeton sighs.  "Do you know any place that's out of the way, quiet and
possibly not the most expensive in town.

The boy smiles.  "Aye!  I know just the placer, master."

> The young Coalition Ranger does not look impressed with the hardor
> master and his threats but does not reply. She has been fighting enough
> and she is kind of tired and could use a break.
>
> When she sees the flying creature, Alex reachs for her JA-12 Rifle but
> does not draw or fire the weapon, instead watching the flying creature
> whatever it is. You can take the girl out of the Coalition but it
> difficult to completely take the Coalition out of the girl. She states,
> "What the hell is that," not really expecting a response from anybody.
> "Some wizard beast I imagine."

"Ne'er seen him before, ma'am." the boy says.  "But we get strange
visitors around here on occasion."

> Alex turns to the kid, "Curious, I have used alot of grenades during my
> trip here. Might you know a place which has a good stock of grenades or
> could custom make some for me?" She thinks for a moment or two about a
> problem and asks, "I would also be curious if you know of any place
> where I might be able to exchange jewelry for something more spendable?"

"Aye, I can help you there ma'am." the boy says.  "There's a arms shop
just a block or two, and the prices are right reasonable.  Now about
them credits."
[/GM]

[Bongo]
Bongo pulls a few out and tosses them to the boy.
[/Bongo]

[GM]
The boy looks curiously at them, bites them and ways them.  "Those be
strange markings." he says.  "You must hail from aways away."
[/GM]

[Bongo]
Bongo smiles.  "You might say that."
[/Bongo]

[GM]
The boy stuffs the credits in a pocket and immediately starts heading
towards the town.  "Come on, then.  The Harbor Master seems a might bit
ornery this morning, so if you were me, you'd leave his domain by the
fastest exit."

He gives the company a knowing wink.  "An' your friend there behind that
shack, he should be moving as well.  If the Harbor Master finds out
that someone got through without him knowing, there'll be right ruddy
hell to pay, and you can bank on that."

The boy leads up the dock and through a side gate which opens on to a
cobblestone street.  A faery whizzes past their heads, giggling.  The
boy shouts, "Ye been on your way.  No playing with visitors."  The
faery says "Shit." and flies off.  "If ye be staying in Eire, ye be
watching them.  They run most o' the country, and run it like a
madhouse."

The street appears to be something of a business district.  There's a
general store, two magic shops (one announcing "Charms for Friends,
Lovers and Enemies") and a brothel ("Nine Races, All Willing For
Pleasure").

Finally they reach a tall red-brick building that Bongo immediately
recognizes as pre-Rifts in architecture, but looks like it was built
yesterday.  A brightly painted sign proclaims "O'Hare and Sons, Arms and
Armor since 45 PA".

"There ye be, ma'ams an' sirs." the boy says.  "I'll just wait outside
for you then, unless ye be needing something else."