[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XI - Dissension in the Ranks

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:26:33 BST 2007

> > [Carlos]
> > Carlos scrambles to cover his face with anything he can. He then searches
> > for the source of the warm air.
> > [/Carlos]

> [GM]
> In short order Carlos finds a long, narrow crack on the back side of the
> altar.  A faint reddish glow emanates from it.
> [/GM]

> > [Bongo]
> > Bongo, covering his mouth and nose, runs up to Carlos.
> >
> > "What have you found?" he asks.  "Looks like the closest thing to an
> > escape route to me."
> >
> > Bongo attempts to heave on it, but even with all his strength he is
> > unable to budge it.
> >
> > "Ted... Lady Frost... Somebody, come and give us a hand!"
> > [/Bongo]

> [Talas]
> Seeing that his helmet was unable to stop the gas to any helpful degree Talas abandons
> the gas canister and heads over to try and help Carlos and Bongo open the door they
> have found.
> [/Talas]

> [Ted]
> The lizard man shoulders his rifle and dashed to Bongo's side. He assesses the situation
> and then crouches down to lift the statue out of the way so the others could make us of
> the crack.
>
> "Somebody needs to get Osiris," he says to Bongo.

> Alex states, "I got a vibro-sword, maybe we can cut a way open."  The young scout
> activates her sword and prepares to cut away at the wall.
> [/Alex]

> [Lady Frost]
> It only takes Frost a moment to rouse herself from her melancholy.  But that moment
> leaves her slightly bewildered as to what was happening. Fortunately, her years of
> experience at making quick decisions took hold.  Even as her aware mind tried to
> figure out who was attacking them this time, her reflexes moved her to Osiris, picking him
> up ascarefully as she could while still being quick.
>
> Part of her wondered how long this gas would take to affect her.  She didn't have the
> slightest clue what the canister was billowing forth and she knew it.
>
> The rest of her settled Osiris in place, and then stepped forward to offer what help she
> could.... even if she had to kick the door open.
>
> She was good at kicking doors down, and she didn't even have to care who was on the
> other side of it anymore.
> [/Lady Frost]

[GM]
Though the others quickly come to help move the altar, Ted's bulging
muscles seem sufficient... barely.  Sweat pours from his reptilian
brow as he slowly moves the altar.  There is a grating sound, and then
a loud POP! and several spring and pieces of metal fly past Ted's
face, hitting the far wall beyond him and chipping at the brickwork.

Ted manages to move the altar about three feet but can manage no more.
 It is enough to reveal a narrow stairway leading down.  Far below can
be seen a river of flowing lava, blasting heat and a horrible sulphur
smell that's nearly as noxious as the gas above.  The stairway leads
down into this magma chamber, and then ends at a narrow path, no more
than two feet wide.  The lava river and the path head due east before
disappearing under an overhang.

Suddenly, behind the company, the door bursts open in a hail of
gunfire.  Several Deadboys leap in, and without even a warning, open
fire on the company.

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com