[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XII - Through The Looking Glass Once Again

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:08:16 BST 2007

> > [GM]
> > Each of the company are lead to a different room.  Each room has a
> > double bed with fresh white sheets, a writing desk, chair and a dresser.
> > Each room has a small bathroom with a toilet, sink and small bathtub.
> > Oddly enough each bathtub is already filled with steaming water.  She
> > leaves each member of the company to their privacy, though she can
> > be heard moving about the rooms and singing to herself.
> > [/GM]

> [Talas]
> Talas takes off his backpack and reaches in to pull out a neatly wrapped
> leather bundle. Talas then unties the bundle to reveale a beautifully and
> richly embroidered set of silk robes that he sets out on the bed. Talas
> then undresses and heads for the bath.
> [/Talas]

> [GM]
> > The baths are heaven.  It seems that the days melt away as everyone
> > soaks in such luxury.  Some almost half-expect this to be a dream or
> > a trick, only to end with some horrible attack or another, but nothing
> > comes of it.
> >
> > When they return to their rooms, they found clothes waiting for them,
> > and all fit well.  For Talas a new red robe awaits, while for Alex and
> > Amanda there are long flowing white dresses.  Bongo, Ted and
> > Carlos find handsome silk shirts and comfortable lined pants.
> > [/GM ]

> [Talas]
> After the bath Talas finds himself looking at a second set of robes that
> his hosts have been kind enough to set out for him. Not wishing to
> offend his hosts Talas wraps up his fine silk robes and dresses in the
> robes that have been left for him.
> [/Talas]

> > [GM]
> > In the common room a blazing fire has been lit and two jugs of
> > sparkling wine along with some bread, cheese and fruit have been
> > set.  The old lady is nowhere to be found, though somewhere off
> > in the distance her singing can be heard.
> > [/GM]

> > [Bongo]
> > Bongo whistles.  "I may not be human," he says, "but that bath sure made
> > some difference."
> > [/Bongo]

> [Talas]
> When Talas returns to the common room and sees both Alex and Amanda
> he pauses a moment and then says "Lady Alex, Lady Amanda the two
> of you are visions of utter beauty". He then turns to Amanda and says
>  "Lady Amanda I know you ask me not to refer to you simply as
> Amanda. But... I think this situation dictates otherwise. Would you not agree?"
> [/Talas]

> [Alex]
> Alex smiles at the comment. Although she likes Bongo, she does not
> consider him in any sexual manner. Maybe it is her Coalition upbringing
> but humans are humans and dog boys are dog boys.
> [/Alex]

[...]

> > [GM]
> > While this is going on, the Mayor is spending a great deal of time
> > doting on Alex and Amanda.
> >
> > "Tell me ladies," he says, his voice slightly slurred by drink, "are
> > such handsome women to be found where you come from?  You see, I am a
> > poor widower.  My third... er rather... fourth wife having died last
> > year.  A man in my high position can scarcely afford, however, to remain
> > grieving for too long.  My niece needs me to set an example of wedded
> > bliss."
> >
> > The young woman's face blushes, and she lowers her  head.  She seems
> >  very impressed with Talas, however, as do many other women at the
> > table.  His Elvish good looks have their effect.  His exotic clothes only add
> > to this.

> Alex is not interested in being tied to any many who is older than her
> father and especially who has gone through four wives. Besides, she
> loves exploring, although not being shot at although that goes with the
> business. She replies, "Thank you for the compliment but it would not
> work. I am too much of a free spirit and would drive each other crazy in
> less than a week."

"An adventurer are you?" the Mayor asks.  "A pity.  A damned pity!  You
would make a fine wife for a Mayor."
[/GM]

> [Talas]
> With the mayors daughters interest in him being so obvious and her
> now being so embarassed by her father's words, Talas strikes up a
> conversation with her in the hopes of putting her to ease and taking her
>  attention off of her fathers words. Talas keeps one ear one the various
> conversations going on around the table and one ear on the words of
> the Mayor's daughter as he goes on about the latest gossip and her
> various interests and what ever else she wishes to speak of.
> [/Talas]

[GM]
With Talas's show of interest, the young woman opens up, discussing
everything from her love of horses to her fears about some day taking
on the her father's mantle as Mayor.  She talks about her potential
suitors as a pack of fluffy, silly boys who her father wants her to marry
to increase the family's holdings.
[/GM]

[...]

> [...]
> > "but most assuredly you can bring us some news of the outside world.
> > Our contacts are intermittent, and word from other places fills us with
> > pleasure."  Despite the request, he does not look the sort of man that
> > is ignorant of the world.

> When Osiris comes in, Alex looks at him worried. While she has been
> listening to the other's conversations, she has not commenting, to see
> what others are leading before saying anything

> "Bongo," the reptilian telepath projected privately to his canine companion,
> "Do you get any kind of readings on our friend Bruth?"
> [/Ted]

> [Bongo]
> Bongo briefly tries to read Bruth's surface thoughts.  He then
> responds telepathically to Ted.  "He's curious, but there's also
> something else, like he was expecting the door to open, or at least,
> he was not surprised."
> [/Bongo]

> [Ted]
> "Too few people in this world seemed surprised at our comings and
> going," the lizard man replied telepathically. "That plain iron ring
> on Bruth's finger bothers me. Can you sense anything about it?"

> "Sorry." Bongo replies.  "That's beyond my capabilities.  What we need
> right now is someone with a bit of famiilarity with magic."

> "Right. Thanks." Ted scowled a moment. He felt certain Talas would
> know something, but how would they communicate it without speaking?

> > "Perhaps you fine people do not wish to speak of your mission," he
> > says, "but most assuredly you can bring us some news of the outside
> > world. Our contacts are intermittent, and word from other places
> > fills us with pleasure." Despite the request, he does not look the
> > sort of man that is ignorant of the world.

> "We bring news only of war and unhappiness in distant places," Ted
> answers. "As you can guess, each of us is conditioned in our own way
> to the rigors of combat. Perhaps it would serve you better to share
> with us your experience and we can fill in the details with what we
> have seen."
>
> That said, the lizard man addresses Talas telepathically, inquiring
> whether had had any way of deciphering Bruth's true nature and
> intentions.
> [/Ted]

> [Amanda Connors]
> Smiling at Osiris as he sits down, Amamda notices the opportunity
> to play tag team with Ted.  Clearly something was up with Bruth.
> He looks nervously around at Osiris, and half the team is getting
> ready to grill him.  A little reporter's guile could be of some use
> here.
>
> "Excuse me Mr. Bruth?  I'm not familiar with your accent.  Could I
> ask where you're from originally?"
>
> It was a trick she'd used with other colleagues before.  He likely wouldn't
> want to answer Ted's question, so she'd distract him with a harmless one.
> A little back and forth, and Bruth would be unwittingly answering anything

[GM]
"I am," Bruth says somewhat evasively, and clearly taken a little by
surprise, "from many places.  My place of birth was... in Europe, though
I travelled extensively when I was young.  I'm afraid the tales of my journies
would be rather long.  Suffice it to say that my retirement here to the life
of a shopkeeper has come only after many, many trials."

While this is going on, Talas attempts to probe Bruth, but can sense
nothing in particular.  It's obvious the man is a magic user, though the
precise nature of his talents can't be shown.

Bruth seems somewhat more at ease, however.  "You must forgive
my curiousity, m'lady." he says.  "It's just that we don't often see such
an eclectic company, particulary one bearing a Cyberknight.  The land
is greatly troubled, despite the small concern's of the Mayor over the
identity of his next wife.  Some of my ord... I mean my fellow mages
have seen strange portents."

Bruth clearly has slipped.  His face reddens, and he flags down a
server for more wine.  "It's a heady mead." he says.  "Sometimes
ill-formed words slip past the tongue."  Despite this odd explanation,
Bruth most definitely does not seem drunk.

This is all interrupted as a young man in a somewhat foppish outfit
and holding a somewhat oddly-shaped five stringed musical
instrument comes up.

"Oy oy!" the Mayor shouts, slugging back another glass of wine.
"Music for the guests!  Play that ancient tune, Ledley!  You know the
one you played for me yesterday."

The man strums and the begins singing;

"Twas a day in bright June, when the sun was so bright,
the Reaver came calling, and our lands turned to blight.
'Pon farms and dales and even the womb,
The Reaver brought death, destruction and doom.

Now kings and queens and serfs all alike,
Were soon enslaved and cast into night.
And from the shores of the Hudson there rose such a cry,
Of fear and despair at this horrible time.

And the Reaver's army marched upon our fair towns.
And threatened to burn all about us right down.
But out of the North, in a land by the sea,
Akirax the Wolfen did hear of our need.

And so he came down with sword and with gun,
And as he took to the field the summer sun shone.

And in a final pitched Akirax did call to
the Reaver, and he demanded "I lay a challenge upon you!"
And the Reaver did come, his sword and armor all black,
And to some it did seem that Akirax might turn back.

But the Wolfen prince was no coward, 'tis true,
And lifting his glave he rode right on through
The hoards of the demon and they cowered with fright,
For Akirax was transformed into a terrible sight.

'To Rath-Iren return, demon of hell!'
Brave Prince Akirax did loudly yell.
And sword met sword with bone-wrenching clang,
And steel did join, and loudly it sang.

Prince Akirax was victorious that glorious day,
And the Reaver's soul fled somewhere far away.
And in the years that passed, when Akirax grew old,
The Reaver's sword he held in his hands dead and cold."

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com