[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XV - The Demon's Minions

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:15:39 GMT 2008

> > > [Ted]
> > > *Magic or psionics?* the lizard man asked telepathically, trying to get a feel
> > > for his companion's strengths.
> > > [/Ted]

> > [GM]
> > Before Koba can answer, a distant roar, coming from the water front,
> > can be heard.  The foggy sky lights up with a red flame.  The wail of
> > several sirens winds up.

> "You better order this one to go, Koba. We need to hurry."
> [/Ted]

> [Koba]
> The staff is enchanting with the artistry and the glow of the gem sitting on
> top of it intertwined. Koba instinctively reaches out a hand to grab at it,
> but with a quick snap of his head he realizes that may be too dangerous. He
> unslings a sack om his shoulder and directs it in mentally. As he pulls the
> strings to draw the bag closed, the sound of the primal roar makes him
> startle as he turns to face the waterfront.
>
> "Ted, we need to get back to the others...NOW. I'm guessing that's who your
> "orc-sicle" friend was waiting for." Koba says with a sense of urgency and a
> hint of fear. Suddenly the image of Seth, the old man who brought him to the
> city, pops into Koba's head. His boat is likely still at the dock. "I hope
> you know when to run my friend." Koba mutters to himself.
>
> With the sack now secured on his shoulder, he slings the energy rifle into
> his hands and starts running back towards the garage as fast as he can.
> [/Koba]

> [Ted]
> "Climb onto my back," the lizard man says, hunching over. As soon as Koba is
> settled, he takes off at top speed for where they left the others.
> [/Ted]

> [Koba]
> "Oh...Ok." Koba responds. He surveys the hunched lizard man before clumsily
> trying to climb onto his back. He does his best to try to find a place to
> grip with his arms and legs. Koba has ridden in cars, trucks, hover
> transports, and even on a horse, but this is a new one to write home about.
> [/Koba]

> [Ted]
> "Just hang on," the lizard man says, handing his energy rifle to Koba and then
> wrapping his forearms around the man's shins. His five-foot-tall body hides a
> surprising amount of power and endurance, allowing him to carry Koba with little
> effort while running at superhuman speed through the narrow and twisted streets.
> [/Ted]

[Meanwhile...]

> > > [Talas]
> > > Talas slowly and calmly takes the gun from Max.
> > > [/Talas]

> > [GM]
> > Max looks to the company, tears welling in his eyes.  "I'm... I'm... so sorry.
> > She was my only child.  You must understand."  He cannot continue and
> > breaks down in heavy sobs, a sad and bitter sight.
> > [/GM]

> [Sia]
> Sialillion comes forward and puts her hand on Max's shoulder.  "Never  fear,
> Max.  You will have your revenge.   I, too, know what it's like to have the ones
> you love murdered by unimaginable evil.  But these pathetic worms," she says,
> spitting her words out towards the two captured men, "are merely pawns carrying
> out the orders of a greater  demon.  We need whatever information they have to
> be able to strike at the real perpetrator.  And if necessary," she says, turning
> back to Max with steel in her glare, "we will make them suffer.  I may be the
> King's eyes and ears, as you say, but there is much about the nature of evil that
> I know, and he does not.  Cannot.  Don't take me for a mere lackey."
> [/Sia]

[GM]
Max nods.  "I shall trust you, Lady Sialillion." he says, wiping the
tears away.  "I shall hold it to you as a binding word of honor."
Some of the firmness that he is known around the kingdom for returns.
[/GM]

> > [Alex]
> > The fire haired scout grabs her shield generator and slings it over
> > her body. She sees that as giving her some protection. She then
> > draws her rifle and watches closely.
> >
> > Turning towards Bongo, she asks, "Bongo, do you sense where the danger
> > is coming from? You are a more powerful psychic than I am and may be
> > able to sense more."
> > [/Alex]

> [Bongo]
> "Maybe the old man was it." Bongo says.  Then his nose wrinkles.  "Do you
> smell that..."
> [/Bongo]

> [GM]
> The company hears the distant roar coming from the waterfront, and the
> sirens going off.  The injured man starts to laugh.  "Too late... too
> late...  He is here."
> [/GM]

> [Sia]
> Looking briefly alarmed, Sialillion places a finger against her  forehead and
> closes her eyes, quickly intoning a syllable or two under her breath.
> [/Sia]

[GM]
At that moment, Ted, packing Koba on his back, bursts through the
door.  Ted recognizes the innkeeper, who looks like he's been crying,
though Koba is a little confused at who this new man is, and why he's
looking at those two men on the ground with such contempt.
[/GM]

> [Carlos]
> Carlos starts panting, then yells, "Wait! We must leave for Rath-Iren to the
> south. We cannot wait! We need to get there quick before all is lost!"
>  [/Carlos]

[Bongo]
The Dog Boy nearly jumps out of his skin.  "Is this about that dream
you had?" he asks.  "What's going on!"
[/Bongo]

[Lady Frost]
"Dream or no dream," Lady Frost says, looking queerly at Carlos, "I
think Carlos is right, and we shouldn't stay here."
[/Lady Frost]

[Osiris]
Osiris looks at Sialillion.  "Lady Sialillion, we are in your hands, I
think.  If we need to go south quickly, walking won't do it.  We need
a vehicle, and we need it now."

"As well," he adds, looking at their prisoners, "we have to decide now
what to do with these two.  We've sworn to our friend Mr. Stein here
that we wouldn't turn them in to the authorities, so it seems to me we
have little choice but to take them with us.  The one fellow looks
like he'll be okay, but the taller one is in bad shape.  Still, what
choice do we have?"
[/Osiris]

[GM]
Outside, the roar of the fire is getting louder.  There are many cries.
[/GM]

[Bongo]
Bongo raises an ear.  After a moment he says "It's hard to hear
anything, but it sounds to me like the docks are fully engulfed.  Alex
can correct me if she likes, but if my CS military training is
correct, whatever is attacking the town is trying to cut off the
river."
[/Bongo]

[GM]
Suddenly a figure darkens the doorway.  Standing there is a tall man
in a long black cloak, with an iron ring on his finger.  In his hand
is a staff carved with runes.  It's Bruth, the mage that some of the
company met at the banquet at Fort Peters.  Koba, of course, does not
recognize this man, but Sia does.

"I'm afraid it's much worse than that." he says simply.

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com