[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XV - The Demon's Minions

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 22:24:57 GMT 2008

OOC: Many apologies for being so tardy.

> > [GM]
> > Outside, the roar of the fire is getting louder.  There are many cries.
> > [/GM]

> > [Bongo]
> > Bongo raises an ear.  After a moment he says "It's hard to hear
> > anything, but it sounds to me like the docks are fully engulfed.  Alex
> > can correct me if she likes, but if my CS military training is
> > correct, whatever is attacking the town is trying to cut off the
> > river."
> > [/Bongo]

> > [GM]
> > Suddenly a figure darkens the doorway.  Standing there is a tall man
> > in a long black cloak, with an iron ring on his finger.  In his hand
> > is a staff carved with runes.  It's Bruth, the mage that some of the
> > company met at the banquet at Fort Peters.  Koba, of course, does not
> > recognize this man, but Sia does.
> >
> > "I'm afraid it's much worse than that." he says simply.
> > [/GM]

> [Carlos]
> Carlos says shakily, "The vision has returned... I keep seeing the
> destruction...Rath-iren..." He looks up at the newcomer surprised,
> and points his rifle at him. If the newcomer attempts any movement
> other than talking, he fires like a mad dog (sorry Bongo).
> [/Carlos]

> [Koba]
> Shaken, Koba drops off of the lizardman and quickly hands him back his
> rifle. A quick survey reveals two new men who weren't here but a minute ago.
> The one dressed in the trappings of a mage with weapons leveled at him is
> obviously unwelcome. Koba slips his hand down to the neuromace clipped to
> his belt, unbuckles the latch and lets it slide into his hand at his side.
> Standing ready to strike the moment any hostile words are uttered or
> gestures started, Koba knows the danger of giving a mage a moment's
> hesitation.
>
> Squinting his wrinkled brow, Koba peers at the man, trying to get a sense
> of the man's true intentions. What has stayed his hand so far is the fact
> that Carlos has yet to pull the trigger.
> [/Koba]

> [Sia]
> Sialillion backs up a bit, hanging behind the Cyberknight and
> Coalition Ranger in particular.  "Beware," she says, to the group "I
> sense great supernatural evil.  He is more than he seems."
>
> "Bruth.  What are you doing here?  What do you intend?"
> [/Sia]

> [Talas]
> On hearing Bruth's voice, Talas spins on his heals to face Bruth. Talas
> takes a quick look at the half-orc, then back at Bruth, "What brings
> you here Mr. Bruth?" And with that Talas casts 'Sense Evil'
> [/Talas]

> [Alex]
> Alex watches like a 'hawk' what is going on with her rifle ready

> Ted readies his rifle, while waiting for Bruth to state his business.

Bruth bows to Sia.  "Lady Sialillion, I rather thought you would be whispering
sweet nothings in our Lord's ears.  That is, after all, what you are best at."

Bruth looks at all of the company with disdain.  "For decades I have waited for
the Time of Darkness.  Almost I, like the fools in the Temple, believed it would
not come, at least not for many generations.  But now, it seems, you have
brought the Darkness with you.  The last of the K'murd-faka returns,
and strangers enter this land that lies in the shadow of Rath-Iren."

He shakes his head and laughs mockingly.  "And what does prophecy
deliver us?  A rag tag party that one could find in any common
swillhole from here to the Rio Grande."

"But I've decided to help you," Bruth continues, "help you to get past
the Enemy and into the heartland of His ancient evil.  But I will
require something in return, if you should survive.  She Who Has No
Name has turned away from me, and towards you, so if She wishes to use
you, then She can compensate me for the long years of study and
meditation."

Outside the sound of pandemonium increases.  The roar of the fire is
louder, and there are explosions.  "The K'murd-faka is clever." Bruth
observes with odd detachment.  "He knows he cannot move directly
against the kingdom, but he has agents like these..." he points to the
prisoners "that are more than happy to do it for him, for credits,
gold or whatever other sicker desires they may have.  I wonder, what's
the difference between them and us, eh?"

"Now, back to my price." Bruth continues.  "If you make it to
Rath-iren alive (which I doubt), you must retrieve the Ring of Oth and
bring it to me.  Yes, I'm sure you'll be counseled by someone that
it's dangerous and evil and so forth.  But I care not.  If you want my
help, then you'll do it.  Otherwise, you won't make it out of this
city alive.  I'll just as happily do business with the K'murd-faka
when it comes."

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com