[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XV - The Demon's Minions

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 21:20:54 BST 2008

> > [GM]
> > With all her incredible might, Lady Frost punches Bruth.  The force of the blow
> > literally carries Bruth the door and into a pile of garbage.  His body twitches for
> > several seconds, the ring on his finger glowing so bright as to cast shadows,
> > but finally it is still.
> > [/GM]

> > [Osiris]
> > Tears streaming from Osiris's face, he searches the ground where Bongo was,
> > trying to learn something of where his friend had gone.
> > [/Osiris]

> > [GM]
> > Max shakes his head.  "We've all suffered losses tonight.  And what if this
> > wizard was right?  What if there is no escape from the city?"
> > [/GM]

> [Carlos]
> Also shaking his head in disbelief at the scene that just occurred, Carlos says "I
> suppose it doesn't matter very much. The world may fall apart because of some
> rash decisions, but at least our pride is intact and armor untarnished." He gathers
> his equipment to move out.
> [/Carlos]

> [Sia]
> The look on Sialillion's face becomes glassy and far away for a moment, then
> she snaps back to awareness as if waking from a dream.  "It's as he said."  Her
> voice is grave.  "All the city gates are being watched.  But..."  She looks down at
> Bruth's crumpled body. "Has he been disposed of?"  She seems reluctant to say
> more until she is sure Bruth is taken care of.
> [/Sia]

> [Ted]
> Ted runs toward Bruth's corpse, surveying it briefly with his rifle to make sure the
> man had in fact died, before reaching down to take the ring.

There is a brief spasm in Bruth's ruined body, and for a moment it
seems as if the
ring won't slip off, but finally it leaves the finger grudgingly.
[/GM]

> [Koba]
> Koba hooks the neuromace back to the clip on his belt and pulls out a camera
> from an e-clip pocket. He takes a few pictures of the two prisoners and of
> Bruth before putting it back into the pocket.
> [/Koba]

> [Ted]
> "Good work, Lady Frost," he says before suggesting to her that they gather the
> others and move out.
> [/Ted]

> [Lady Frost]
> Though not able to shed tears in her current form, Frost's face is a mask of
> anguish.  Wordlessly she stalks over to Bruth's body and begins pounding on it
> over and over, shattering pavement right along with anything else that gets under
> her fists.
> [/Lady Frost]

[GM]
In short order, Bruth's corpse is a bloodied mass, barely recognizable as human.
[/GM]

> [Sia]
> Sialillion flinches a bit at the violence of Lady Frost's assault on the mage, but does
> not look away.  She adds a little quietly "You know, if I could have a look at his
> personal effects I might be able to figure out what..." She stops short and sighs,
> knowing that her words are falling on deaf ears.  She simply watches silently with a
> look a frustration on her face, hoping that any important items Bruth might be
> carrying aren't crushed into a sticky pulp.
> [/Sia]

> [Koba]
> Koba turns to Carlos. "I don't know what you were thinking of doing Carlos.  Were
> you really thinking of taking his offer? I can let you know right now that he was
> offering us nothing. That was not for pride. That beast was looking to take us for all
> our worth and use us. He indirectly threatened our lives by forcing us to take his
> offer, was planning on selling that ring for some plot I am not evil enough to
> understand, and I'm sure he would have reported our escape from the city to the
> guards as proof of our working directly with these invaiders. His offer was nothing."
> He turns his head over his shoulder to see where Bruth lies under the fury of Lady
> Frost's rage. "And now he is nothing. I have no pity for a man like him, but maybe
> these two could have been victims as well."
>
> With that Koba walks over to where the two prisoners were left and kneels beside
> them. He unhooks the latches securing his helmet and takes it off. "I know of men
> like Bruth. I know of how powerful they can appear. I even know how tempting it is
> to want to be like them. You both have been following a man who came here not
> even to save you but to look for his own ends. I ask you what allegiance do you
> have to his corpse over there? This man used people, but those he used may not
> truely want the same fate. I can see you both as victims of his lies, and I can even
> look past some deeds you did under his influance, but to do so I would have to
> know you have the ability to reform your lives. Are you willing to help us now, or are
> you insistent to end your lives as quickly and uselessly as your master did? Will
> you trust me now?"
> [/Koba]

[GM]
The taller man simply laughs.  "He was lower than us, that pathetic
traitor.  Sold out
his pitiful king, and he's got what he deserved."

The orcish-looking man shivers.  "I...I...I... didn't ask for
th...this.  He killed her, I
swear.  I just wanted to leave."
[/GM]

> [Carlos]
> "You don't get it, do you?  Bruth is nothing but a bloody pulp. He was an ant, a
> small bug that has been easily smashed. You cannot imagine the larger evil that
> plans on coming- you have not tasted the evil. There is a demon waiting to be
> loosed that seeks to destroy and enslave this city and all the world. Look around.
> This city is already in shambles. This is only the beginning. If Bruth was our
> chance to stop the death of hundreds upon thousands, I would have taken it. He
> may have gotten the ring, but there is no guarantee he would have kept it."
> [/Carlos]

> [Koba]
> Koba takes Carlos aside and speaks with him away from the others in a quiet
> yet serious voice. "I do understand a few things that you may or may not
> have understood yourself. I know that he is simply a man who had delusions
> of power, and most likely a pawn to some more sinister being. I understand
> that giving him that ring may have made our escape easier, but think of
> this. I've been on this continent for maybe twice as long as you, and in
> that time, this world has not gotten one slight better for people like us.
> Every day there is a new deamon, new DBee invasion, or those toying with the
> dead. A new imminent threat to humans and peaceful DBees presents itself
> every time that sun comes over the horizon. People die by the thousands
> every day to evil beings. Cities just like this one are burned to the
> ground. What has saved us so far is the fact that we have not handed over
> everything to those who would wish to take over the world. Cities are
> rebuilt, good people never make pacts with evil men, and those willing to
> fight to stem those evil hordes." Koba sighs and then points Carlos over to
> Osiris. "That man has probably been around for longer then anyone I've
> ever met. People of his order stand in the face of the greatest evil. People
> like him don't make pacts with men like Bruth, and people like him are why
> this world isn't already in the grip of evil."
> [/Koba]

[Osiris]
Osiris bows slightly.
[/Osiris]

> [Koba]
> With a deep breath Koba tries to calm himself down and speaks with a much
> more sincere and subdued voice. "Carlos, right now we're under attack and
> it's scaring me too, but we need to do our best to stop it rather then ally
> ourselves with any part of it. Bruth is dead, and I wish we could have
> captured him instead, but if we're still looking for a way out of the city
> those two prisoners may be more receptive to helping us now."
> [/Koba]

> [Carlos]
> Working to control his emotions, Carlos says, "Save your sermons preacher man.
> The world isn't so black and white as you think. Go attend to the prisoners and see
> what you can do before more people have to die."
> [/Carlos]

> [Talas]
> Talas sheaths his sword and walks up behind Lady Frost, putting his hand on her
> back. And speaking in a soft voice says "It is over M'Lady. Its time to stop... We
> need to be careful not to become what we hate." And with that Talas moves his
> hand over Lady Frosts shoulder and pulls her off of Bruth, slowly applying ever
> greater force until she comes away from the body.
> [Talas]

> [Alex]
> It seems that everyone she knows and likes dies or just disappears.  First, almost
> her whole team when she still served the Coalition all because her lieutenant
> antagonized the wrong political figure. They got sent to fight the bugs and die. Now,
> two companions have died with this  group.
>
> The scout goes over to where Bongo disappeared and looks to see if anything is
> left. She turns to the others, "Anyone know what happened to him? I have never
> seen anything like what happened to him."
> [/Alex]

> [Sia]
> "I think it may have something to do with the ring." Sialillion conjectures.  "May we
> see it, er... Lizard-man?" she asks in Ted's direction.
> [/Sia]

> [Ted]
> "You can call me Ted," the lizard man hands the ring to the woman. "Notice
> anything interesting?"
> [/Ted]

[Osiris]
Osiris shakes his head.  "Alas, Alex, there is nothing I can learn
from this.  I have
seen many terrible spells in my time, but none that could whisk away
someone like
this, not without taking out a good deal of the surroundings in the
process.  And
remember his last words 'I'm cold'.  What did he mean?"

Osiris then looks to Sia, who seems completely absorbed by the ring.
"Be careful
there, Lady Sialillion.  We don't know anything about that ring, or
about anything else
we've gained here tonight."  Osiris gives Koba a sharp look.

"Lady Sialillion." he continues.  "You said something about Bruth
being right, and all
the gates being watched, but you seemed ready to say something further.  What
know you?"
[/Osiris]

[GM]
Max nods.  "Please, if you can escape, do it now.  If you wish to
leave the prisoners,
I will take care of them.  And no, I shall not slay them, but they
will see justice."

The taller prisoner hisses.  "Yes leave us to this man's justice..."

The orcish man shakes his head.  "Take me with you!" he cries.  "I can help you,
I swear.  Don't leave me here.  They'll hang me for sure."

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com