[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XIX - Rath-Iren

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 22:34:37 BST 2009

> > [GM]
> > Owen steps past Koba and into the passage way.  He can
> > see the red light more clearly, and though it must be a few
> > hundred feet away, it looks almost like a desert, with a
> > dull-red sky above it.
> >
> > As Owen and Koba look on, Raven works on a woman she
> > does not know; though some know her as Lady Frost.
> > Suddenly Lady Frosts eyes open slightly.
> >
> > "Thank you." she mouths quietly.  She struggles to get up,
> > then sees the dwarfs attacking Talas, raises a hand, and a
> > burst of liquid-like ice leaps from it and on to the floor.  Two
> > of the dwarfs slip and the others leap back, unprepared for
> > this bizarre attack.
> >
> > "Before it is too late." she says.  "Through the passage, and
> > seal the door behind you."  There's an odd quality to her voice,
> > a strange dullness to it, as if it had been spoken into a pillow.

> "Where does it lead, Frost?" Ted asks, trying not to sound too
> suspicious of her sudden reappearance and familiarity with the
> escape route. He waits for the others to make their way toward
> the passage while holding off the blue dwarves for another
> moment or two.

> "To safety, my friend." she says, her voice now filled with warmth.

> "How do you know that?" the lizard man prods. The others said
> she had disappeared, but to where? Can she prove that she is
> the Lady Frost she claims to be? Ted keeps his doubts to
> himself while fighting off the dwarves.
> [/Ted]

[Lady Frost]
"I was..." she pauses for a second, an odd look of pain and fear
crossing her face, "held captive, I think.  Below us, in another
chamber.  But the end of this passage," she continues, her
voice becoming stronger and surer, "that's the way out."
[/Lady Frost]

> [Koba]
> "Alright everyone, through here! Lets get going before they
> break through my wall. Lady Frost, can you walk?"
> [/Koba]

[Lady Frost]
With a little effort, she struggles to her feet.  "Yes, I think I
can."
[/Lady Frost]

> [Koba]
> With that Koba will stand at the entrance to the tunnel and
> lay down an area burst with the rifle to try to suppress as
> many of the dwarves who are still standing.  [Strike: 4]
> [/Koba]

[GM]
Unfortunately, Koba's spray misses any targets.  It does blast
some more holes in the wall.

> Alex picks Osiris up and continues carrying him.
> [/Alex]

> [Raven]
> Raven thought a moment about what was going on. She
> imagined a trick by some elder evil leading them into a trap
> because of the guise of one they had just saved - and some
> recognized as ally. However, there was only one way to find
> out which was to let it happen.
>
> Raven pulled out her NG Laser Pistol and lobbed a grenade
> into the midst of the blue dwarves [Strike: 22] as she backed
> off into the opening to the new room.  She hoped the others
> who went into there spotted danger or safety already...
> [/Raven]

[GM]
Raven's nearly perfect grenade launch hits in the midst of the
dwarves [Damage: 20MD each].  It blasts them back, and at
least two of them seem to, if not dead, then pretty heavily
injured.
[/GM]

> [Owen]
> Owen will wait for the others to cross into the Tunnel, and
> place a force field over the hole in the wall to slow the
> dwarves following them in their movement down the tunnel.
> [/Owen]

> [Talas]
> Once the five dwarves on this side of the force field are dead,
> Talas will move through the hole in the wall.  [Strike: 8,10]
> [/Talas]

[GM]
Talas again moves into action.  One of the dwarfs manages to
parry with a short sword [Parry: Natural 20], but the other is
injured [Damage: 20,15].

The blue dwarf that parried attempts to stab at Talas [Strike: 15],
but Talas just barely manages to parry [Parry: 15].  There are only
two dwarves left.

> Noticing only two of the blue dwarves still standing, Ted throws
> his body shoulder first into the nearest [body tackle strike: 13],
> then vaults into the air to [leap kick strike: 24] its companion in
> the chin.

Both the dwarfs attempt to dodge Ted, but both fail [Dodges: 5 and 11].
Both are struck [Damage: 18SDC body tackle, 19SDC leap attack]
and both fall to the ground.  All the dwarfs in the room are now
incapacitated.
[/GM]

[Carlos]
As Carlos passes through, he fires a few shots at the dwarfs
[Strike: 11], striking one [Damage: 11MD], and killing it.
[/Carlos]

[GM]
Once in the passage, they can clearly here more dwarfs.
Owen's force field seems to hold them, but for how long?
[/GM]

[Carlos]
"Everybody run!" Carlos shouts, as he begins firing above the
passage to the other chamber.  Within moments the passage
is obliterated by a large pile of semi-melted rocks.
[/Carlos]

[Lady Frost]
Suddenly invigorated, Lady Frost shouts "Come on!  We don't
have much time.  That cave-in won't stop them for long."
She begins jogging towards the reddish light at the end
of the chamber.
[/Lady Frost]

[GM]
The reddish light becomes clearer.  It seems to be another
chamber at the end of this passage, or is it?  There is a
carved arch, and faint traces a bluish shimmering.  Whenever
the ground slightly shakes, the shimmer seems to become
brighter.

Beyond is a wasteland, a sea of red sand dunes.  The sky is
dull red, and dominated by a massive sun, at least five or six
times as big as the normal sun.  The smell of sulfur is
stronger.

mightymartianca at gmail.com