[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter III

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:00:16 BST 2010

> [...]
> > "From what I can tell, and this is going from left to right, the two end ones
> > belong to people named Lieutenant Daxia Holling, Engineering and
> > Lieutenant Commander Zaelrae Thaelaen, apparently third in command
> > of the ship TS Pruffian.  Both of them are dead, one apparently from
> > severe blunt trauma to the head, the other from a failed hibernation
> > pod.  Then there's someone called Yeoman Galway Four-four-eight,
> > who was in the "Supernaturalism" section.  The next is named Ambaffador
> > Louis Xavier Zane,  I think that must be Ambassador.  The next is named
> > Arsandel, has suffered some internal injuries and hibernation is keeping him
> > alive.  The last is Lieutenant Etta Alma, who is something called a Farseeker.
> > Got that Koba?"
> > [/Louissa]

> > [GM]
> > Alex recalls her probings of the hibernation pods that had living beings
> > in them:
> >
> > > The semi-sentient being is of low experience, has no magic, has
> > > psychic abilities of a high PPE.  There is no possessing entity, and a
> > > fairly substantial aberration.
> > >
> > > The being in the next chamber is medium level of experience, has
> > > magic, has no psychic abilities, there is no possessing entity and no
> > > aberrations.
> > >
> > > The third being is of high experience, has magic, has no psychic
> > > abilities, there is no possessing entity but there is an aberration.
> > >
> > > The forth being is of high experience, has no magic abilities, has
> > > psychic abilities of a high PPE.  There is no possessing entity and no
> > > aberrations.
> > [/GM]

> > > [Ted]
> > > "Perhaps we should wake Lieutenant Etta first. She would be in
> > > command if the other two are dead. She might have been
> > > privileged to information the yeoman and ambassador did not. Does
> > > this Arsendal have a rank?"
> > > [/Ted]

> > [GM]
> > "Both the 'Ambaffador' and Arsendal are simply marked with an
> > asterix." Louissa replies.  "I agree with Ted.  Let's wake the Lieutenant
> > up.  What do you guys think?"
> > [/GM]

> > [Lyle]
> > "I don't think we have much of a choice." Lyle observes.  "She sounds
> > like she belongs here, anyways."
> > [/Lyle]

> > [Osiris]
> > "That's how I feel." Osiris says.  "We need to get something running
> > or we won't have problems any more."
> >
> > Osiris radios Koba.  "Koba, do you think you can try to wake up just
> > one sleeper?"
> > [/Osiris]

> [Owen]
> "Hopefully the Lieutenant can help us know how the ship works, or at
> least gives us a way off."
> [/Owen]

> [Alex]
> "I expect she is the best idea as well," responds the red headed

[Carlos]
Carlos does not disagree.
[/Carlos]

> [Koba - from the engine room]
> "I think that Etta is our best choice unless she is the one who could
> be possessed. I can try to wake her up by herself but I can't
> guarantee it."
> [/Koba]

[GM]
Koba works to re-enable the the hibernation wake-up sequence.  Louissa
sees a light blink to Lieutenant Etta Alma's name, seeming to indicate the
sequence has restarted for her.

Unfortunately, Koba's unfamiliarity with this somewhat alien system leads
to a somewhat slight error.  A moment later a light blink next to the name
of Ambaffador (Ambassador?) Louis Xavier Zane. It seems Koba has woken
up two of the sleepers.  This time the override has been turned off, and
there's nothing Koba can do.

On the hibernation pods themselves can be heard a hissing sound.  Then
several lights start blinking, and a timer appears on both pods...

60... 59... 58...
[/GM]

[Lyle, Louissa and Carlos]
Lyle, Louissa and Carlos all ready their weapons [OOC: I assume everyone
else does too].
[/Lyle, Louissa and Carlos]

[GM]
10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

And then the doors of the two pods swing open, the one pod revealing
a mutant cat, almost siamese in color, but with partial human features
and full hands.  The mutant cat is dressed in a silk shirt and tan-colored
pants of fine leather.  The shirt shows speckles of blood on it, and there
is a tear in the pants.  Around the mutant's neck is a medallion on a
chain with the head of a good looking man, with an insignia "Arr'thu Rex
Britanicus CI"

The other pod reveals a young woman, perhaps thirty years old.  She
has hair cut short, is wearing a military uniform with some sort of
military insignia on it.  On her forehead is a tattoo of what looks something
like a bird in flight.

Both open their eyes at almost the same time, taking a moment to
assess their surroundings and then looking at the motley crew that
stands around them.

The first to speak is the mutant cat.  "I say, chaps," he says, "have
you come to rescue us?"

The young woman's first words are "Have you killed Arsandel?"  She
moves to get up and then collapses, and it can clearly be seen that
her left leg is injured, from the looks of it by some sort of energy
strike.

The cat purrs a little.  "I understand your concern," he says, "but
I have to say having several strangers pointing guns at me makes
me nervous."
[/GM]

--
Aaron Clausen