[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter V - The Debate

Peter Perkins riftsgm at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 23:28:23 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Aaron Clausen <mightymartianca at gmail.com>
To: The Tao of Cow Rifts PBEM <taocowpbem at zork.net>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter V - The Debate

>> [GM]
>> Someone replies on the radio in a panicky voice, "They're bombing the
>> town! They'll be on top of us soon enough."
>>
>> As Alex leaves the armory she can see her companions and several other
>> people assembling and holding hands around one of the newcomers;
>> Vesper. The wounded are being brought into the courtyard as well."
>> [/GM]

>> [Louissa]
>> "Alex!" Louissa shouts. "Hurry up. Vesper here is going to try to rift>> us out of this place."
>> [/Louissa]

>> [GM]
>> Even as Louissa speaks, there's a loud "WHOOSH!" from above, and then
>> an explosion. The company, along with everyone else, are knocked to
>> the ground as pieces of metal, masonry and rock rain down on them. The
>> air is filled with smoke and dust, and there is a good deal of
>> shouting.

> Vesper had everyone link hands he wasnt going to waste anymore time.
> It was a simple rift as far as rifting goes not even off the continent.
>
> He had been to Camelot enough though he didn't favour the kingdom
> himself they needed to know about this. Once the shared power was able
> he tore open time and space to Camelot.
>
> "Everyone get through, get through now and take who and what your
> bringing. The gates big enough for vehicles so get moving."
>
> He held the rift open so the others could start shuttling through saving
> lives and not coincidentally saving their own asses.
> [/Vesper]

> [Oz]
> Oz coughs, shuts his visor again, gets back to his feet and gestures at the
> Baron. "In the car, my lord! Time to exercise the better part of valor!"
> The German hops back in his SUV and restates the engine, maneuvering it
> for the gate. The man is clearly ready to go immediately.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
The Baron nods and, without even looking back at his shattered keep,
climbs into Osmar's vehicle.

> Ted heads through first, ready to secure the area if necessary.

> Alex grabs her charged up E-Clips. "They really need to learn to build
> better defenses around here. Lone Star or Chi-Town would laugh at these
> attacks.  Most bases would have fighters in the air to deal with such
> things."

Sir Havalard nods in agreement. "Aye, we should have, but the local
leadership..." he gives the Baron a sharp cross-wise look, "has left
our cupboards bare."

> The red haired ranger will run up stairs, "You know, a good CS Girl is
> not suppose to jump through rifts." If there are any attacking aircraft
> that she can see and spot, she will provide cover fire until it is her turn.

Thus far the attacks appear to be from a high-altitude bomber. In
Alex's experience, this is to soften the enemy up before ground troops
take over.

The defenders are doing the best they can with limited equipment. The
bomber is at the very limit of mini-missile range, but they fire off
volley after volley in hopes of it least keeping it from flying
directly overhead.

> Vesper glanced over, "Be a naughty CS girl then, I'd much rather have
> you alive and beautiful then good but dead."
>
> He smirked a little bit and blushed just a touch. Holding the Rift open
> for the others till they were through before heading through himself.
>
> He even sent his familiars on ahead so that they would be safe.

> The former Coalition thinks to herself, 'Did he actually make a pass
> at me?'
>
> She responds, "Yea, I rather live too."

The wounded are lead through first, and then the company begins moving
through, along with what Sir Havalard has referred to as
non-essentials; mainly the younger soldiers and civilian staff.
Finally the company starts moving through... Ted (with the little
girl, who is picking up pieces of rubble and tossing them idly), Alex,
Justin, Louissa, Osmar (with the Baron in tow).

As Osmar is driving through, there are three more "whooshes" and this
time the damage is substantial. The main tower of the Keep begins to
fall over in a cloud of dust. The remaining members of the party;
Koba, Carlos, Lady Frost and Koba, are cut off as huge slabs of stone
and large pieces of the armor plating fall into the courtyard.

Somewhere in the distance, or perhaps nearby, the noise from falling
debris is loud enough to dim even the loudest cries, can be heard
shouts "They're at the gate! They're at the gate!"

Above their heads, through the dust, can be seen the shape of a
Splugorth slaver barge, as well as Kittani hover vehicles, one of
which is dropping very large looking humanoids in full armor, from a
good thirty feet in the air, on to the courtyard below. Nowhere can be
seen the rest of their companions.
[/GM]

[Vesper]
Vesper casts a calling spell to get Lady Frost and the others to get to the portal.
The explosion caused him to stagger and a large bit of masonry knocked him towards the portal.
He kept calling out until the slavers got closer and the giant troupes came.

Only when the portal was about to slam shut did he ride his hovercycle through.

Vesper shook his head, "I held it open as long as I could, I even cast spells to draw your friends there to it
but they didnt come. Even I can only hold a rift open so long."

Vesper sat down heavily he was obviouslly very stressed about what happened.
[/Vesper]

mightymartianca at gmail.com