[Taocow PBEM] [Alex and Vesper] Book 3 - Chapter X - The Quest For Louissa

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:17:47 UTC 2012

>> [GM]
>> As the two adventurers talk, they make their way over the stony
>> ground. Here and there are a few stands of trees. They have a
>> reasonably good vantage point, and behind them can see New Camelot in
>> the distance, though the air is oddly hazy. For the first time it
>> seems strange to them that this high hill wasn't noticeable as they
>> approached the forest in pursuit of Louissa.
>>
>> In front of the two, however, is the oddest sight of all. As they
>> approach, the fog bank looms larger and larger, until they are
>> standing right in front of it, and it looms high into the sky. The
>> feeling as they get closer is almost electric, like a buzzing. Vesper
>> can definitely sense a major dimensional anomaly of some kind, though
>> while the fog bank is substantial, it still appears to be a mist, and
>> not a solid feature.
>>
>> Somewhere within the fog bank, though it sounds miles away, can be
>> heard gunfire and screams.

> "Why is it always dimensional portals?"

> Vesper turned to Alex with a smile, "Didn't you say you wanted to travel?"
>
> He crawls over the rocks switching his rifle to thermal and looking around
> in the fog.
>
> "We should stick close so the fog doesn't split us up."

> Shaking her head, "So you think we should go through the fog?"
>
> After a moment she states, "I guess but I don't like this. I would have
> preferred adventures on foot or maybe my long lost bike."

> "Yes, something is going on in the fog, and I will be able to tell you as
> we get closer to that dimensional rift so we don't get too close. Well we
> are on foot right now, I am pretty sure we should be able to get you a
> new bike. I miss my hoverbike as well."
>
> He let his familiar wrap about his arm and taste the air with it's tongue to
> help sense things in the fog.
>
> "I will try to take you nicer places once we find Loissa. A nice sunny
> beach with clear water would be nice."

> "Would be nice," the red haired scout returns, "I thought being a
> coalition scout in bug territory was tough. Actually, it was tougher
> there with most of my companions getting killed but this is far stranger."

> "Hey I'd do anything to see a  sexy Coalition soldier in a bikini instead of
> the black dead armor, even if it means a side jaunt to another vacation
> dimension. I am sorry about the loss of your companions, let's try and
> keep each other alive here." He finished sounding more serious then when
> he began.

> Alex pods open her helmet for a moment, "Thanks. A bikini actually
> sounds fun. Use to spend some time in some lakes although never been to
> the ocean. Generally too much that will eat you."
> [/Alex]

[Vesper]
> Vesper smiles over at her, "I look forward to it. I have always had a weakness
> for fire haired maidens."
>
> He laughed a bit, "Yeah the oceans are pretty unsafe now,  I am sure we can
> find someplace safe. I can't let monsters destroy my fantasy now can I ?" He
> was still smiling as he returned to scanning through the thermal of his rifle
> especially off in the direction of the gunfire and the dimensional anomaly.

> The Coalition ranger is actually a bit embarrassed at the comment but
> does not say any more.

Once the two companions are in the fog, it proves almost impenetrable;
visibility of no more than about three or four feet. Both Vesper and
his familiar can "smell" magic at work, and even Alex, via her dagger,
can sense a strong emanation. But it isn't exactly directional; as
soon as they step into the fog, the sensation is all around them.

The sounds of screams and gunfire become somewhat more distinct, but
also seem to be coming from all around them. There's almost an
auditory hallucinatory quality about the fog. Even there own footsteps
seem to echo back at them from all around.

So far as they can tell, the ground is still normal, rock strewn
ground. It's bad enough that they find themselves stumbling at points
due to loose rocks or an unexpected rise or drop in the ground. At one
point they find themselves in a shallow gully with a trickle of water,
the ground sloping up enough on the other side that they are forced to
proceed on all fours.

After about ten minutes, their whole world is nothing but fog and
rocky ground. It gets even worse when they find themselves crossing
the small creek in the shallow ravine a second time at almost the same
place and in the same direction! They don't even remember crossing
back over the creek at some other point.

If there is an "even horizon" to this dimensional anomaly, it doesn't
seem any closer than it was a few minutes ago. They can still hear the
fighting, and it still seems to be coming from all around.

mightymartianca at gmail.com