[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVI - Assault on the Kydians

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:54:17 UTC 2014

>> [GM]
>> Each of the Kydians is in body armor with comms built in, but there is
>> a comm system in the middle of the tower with a large antenna, capable
>> of broadcasting for at least several miles.
>>
>> The four Kydians are, as the company saw from a distance, each
>> standing at their own weapon station, intent on their surrounding
>> area. Two are talking in the guttural language of the Splugorth, all
>> quite oblivious to Vesper's gate opening up. And then the unavoidable
>> clang of boots on a metal deck. Still, the company has the element of
>> surprise as all four Kydians begin to swing around, hands moving to
>> the energy pistols on their belts.

> "You never responded, do you want me to flash bang a moment before you
> go through?"
>
> Otherwise, the ex Coalition Ranger has her rifle out and makes careful
> aim fir at where she will land the grenade and then at the first of
> the Kydians, especially if one has rank markings.

> Vesper would have had no problem if Alex wanted to use a flash bang
> as the lead to them stepping through the portal.

> Ted will use his Computer Hacking, Cyberjacking, Electronic
> Countermeasures, Radio: Basic, Radio: Scramblers, and Cryptography
> skills as needed to shut down the kydians communications.
> [/Ted]

OOC: Don't see Radio: Crypto on the character sheet, but Ted rolls 7% on
Radio: Basic, so manages to scramble their radios anyways.

[GM]
Ted quickly and with amazing skill manages to knock out the Kydians' in-suit
comm systems at least temporarily [OOC: 3 melee rounds].
[/GM]

[Initiative]
Oz - 26
Kydian #1 - 17
Ted Smythe - 13
Ithdalkal (almost forgot about her) - 11
Kydian #2 - 11
Sergeant (back on the ship) - 9
Kydian #3 - 9
Louissa - 7
Kydian #4 -6
Alex - 4
Vesper - 3
[/Initiative]

[Combat Round #1]

OOC: The Kydians automatically lose initiative on first round due to
surprise. The above initiative applies to any later rounds.

[GM]
Alex's flash bang grenade completely stuns the Kydians, allowing the company
to walk through the portal on to the platform without difficulty. Three of
the Kydians are blinded and stunned, leaving only one [Kydian #4], with any
hope of attacking in the next few seconds.
[/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz engages his armor's camouflage before he moves through the gate,
> moving out of the way to attack the kydians' comms before engaging in
> actual combat.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Oz smashes the main communications gear with relative ease [Strike: 11],
though the Kydians still have the radios in their armor.

> Ted will take the nearest Kydian down with a tripping leg hook [Strike:
> 15] and then attack with his sword (which he will draw before entering the
> mystic portal).
> [/Ted]

[Kydian #1]
Ted easily trips the first Kydian.
[/Kydian #1]

[Ithdalkal]
Ithdalkal, who has remained silent throughout the planning, suddenly
explodes into motion. Leaping at the next Kydian [Strike: 22], she knocks
him to the ground.
[/Ithdalkal]

[GM]
Meanwhile, the Sergeant orders the ship just to rise until he is within
firing range, but seeing the company fully involved in combat, holds off on
firing.
[/GM]

OOC: Unfortunately, Anne's player has disappeared again, so we'll just have
to work around her.

[Louissa]
Louissa fires a long burst at the nearest Kydian [Strike: 3], missing badly
and firing into the platform. Fortunately, the platform is a megadamage
structure, so she does only moderate damage [Damage: 9MDC], blowing a
fist-sized hole in the platform.
[/Louissa]

> [Vesper]
> Vesper angles himself and releases a magic net trying to entangle at
> least two of the Kydians.

The magic net entangles one of the Kydians [Kydian #3: Dodge: 12], but the
other remaining upright Kydian [Kydian #4], manages to leap out of the way
[Dodge: 19].

> "I think to secure things we will need too."
> While Alex throws the grenade Vesper will cast Armor of Ithan on her
> to protect her.

> "Don't worry about the magical armor," Alex states. "I have some other
> protections which are just as effective."

> Vesper nodded to her and let her use her own defenses though there was
> concern on his face.
> He cast the Armor of Ithan about himself.
> [/Vesper]

[Kydian #4]
The final remaining upright Kydian measures up the scene for the briefest
moment, then grabs the rung of the platform, pivots over and hits the ground
several feet below with a loud "wumph!" The Kydian seems to have knocked
himself out, for he isn't moving.
[/Kydian #4]

[OOC]
This is the end of round #1. Ted has tripped one Kydian, another has been
entangled by Vesper's net, another is knocked to the platform by Ithdalkal,
and one has jumped to the ground far below.
[/OOC]

mightymartianca at gmail.com