[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVI - Assault on the Kydians

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 20:44:10 UTC 2014

OOC: I'm keeping a lot of the ooc comments in to guide this action.

> [...]

>>> Alex and Vesper can wait until we are in position, the confusion should be
>>> enough for us to get the other Dwarves somewhere safer."
>>>
>>> [/Ted]

>> [GM]
>> Skarn nods. "My people will join you on that assault. That should create
>> some confusion!"
>> [/GM]

>> OOC: So what I read here is that Alex is going to look for high ground
>> (which would appear to be the top of the buildings they are standing next
>> to), Ted will lead at least some dwarfs on a frontal assault, Vesper will go
>> with Alex, and Oz is still making up his mind.

> [Oz]
> OOC:
> Oz isn't a frontal assault kind of guy. He'd prefer to have someone
> watching his back but he's not a sniper. He can climb up to the
> nearest window and go inside, then rain grenades down on the bad guys
> to support the assault.
> [/Oz]

> [Alex]
> ooc: Alex would prefer something more solid than a building if there is an
> option. Buildings are too easy to destroy out from under them. If they are
> the only practical option, that is fine.

> OOC: I think we should have some agreed upon signal when the sniping
> should end so that neither Ted, the Dwarves nor the prisoners get killed.
> Grenade lopping might put to many noncombatants in danger. Perhaps
> there is something else Oz and the others not interested in a headlong
> charge can do. Someone could always try sneaking around to the back
> and drawing the prisoners away.

> ooc: That is why I was thinking sniping from at least a little further
> away if possible.
> [/Alex]

> [Oz]
> OOC:
> Oz can pop a smoke grenade if you don't want to trust the radio. That
> will draw the kydians' attention but probably not any more than
> attacking this prisoner caravan will.
>
> Have we talked about what we're going to do with these prisoners? If
> we try to get our ship in here it will get torn apart. Can Vesper's
> gate hold long enough to get them and us all out?
> [/Oz]

> [Ted]
> OOC: How long will it take Alex to get into position? If we wait too
> long, we might miss our opportunity.
>
> The lizard man addressed Alex. "If you mount your attack from the
> building to our right [between the company and the building with the
> cold iron], it might convince the Kydians to retreat the opposite direction
> and make our mission that much easier."

> ooc: Sorry about taking so long to answer. What is the distance per
> square. Looks like we are in something like a giant warehouse distract
> or are the blocks actually multiple buildings?
>
> ooc: Can she just climb the roof where she is and just fire from there
> then. She was going to try to get some distance but does not seem an

OOC: Yes, she can just climb the roof where she is. No lack of footholds.

> [Vesper]
> Vesper makes sure he keeps hold of Alex as they make their way to a
> sniping position. He readies an energy field to temporarily take the brunt
> of fire and to give Alex a position to set her rifle up on.

> Ted will await their signal.

> "Just be ready to get us out of here if needed?" the scout responds.
>
> ooc: As long as he is touching her, which means she cannot activated her
> force field unfortunately, energy weapons will do no damage to him

And so the attack begins. Alex and Vesper climb up to the roof (not a
terribly difficult task for either of them).

Oz climbs up a story, breaks a window and gets a good vantage of the
party. Ithdalkal quickly and efficently follows him.

This leaves Ted leading over a dozen angry dwarfs in a frontal assault.

When everything is ready, the signal is given. Alex opens fire
[Strike: Natural 20!, Damage: 80MD], literally taking off a goodly
portion of the Kydian's head. The other Kydian hasn't really had a
chance to figure out what has happened when a rain of grenades from Oz
has him ducking for cover.

And then Ted and his dwarf army are on the Kydian. The Kydian, perhaps
seeing no hope, shows his courage and fires a round at Ted
[Strike:17]. Ted does his best to dodge [Dodge: 16], but is unable to
do so, and his armor receives damage [Damage: 20 MD].

The prisoners are, for the moment, free of any guards. However, the
slaver barge is approaching, and more boots can be heard approaching,
indicating the element of surprise has now expired. Vesper can clearly
see what looks like a half a dozen Kydians approaching from the east
(to Vesper and Alex's left). The Slaver barge wastes no time and opens
fire on the building [Damage: 40 MD], and quite suddenly Alex and
Vesper, while not injured in blast, find themselves crashing through
the interior of the building.

Oz and Ithdalkal are caught in the collapse as well, and all four find
themselves moments later under a lot of dust and rubble.

Meanwhile, Ted and his small army of dwarfs can now see more Kydians
approaching, even as the remaining Kydian prison guard seems ready to
go down fighting against Ted. As this is going on, everyone is pelted
by debris from the collapse of the building.

mightymartianca at gmail.com