[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVI - Assault on the Kydians

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:00:57 UTC 2014

>> And then, after perhaps twenty minutes, the path ends and they find
>> themselves at an abrupt end to the passage.  It widens to a circular room
>> about twenty feet in diameter.  In the middle of the chamber is a hatch
>> in the floor, leading to lower levels, and a ladder that leads up to
>> another hatch in the ceiling.
>>
>> Somewhere nearby they can here digging and drilling, the crunch and
>> rumble of rock being removed.  It's close enough to shake the walls and
>> floor of the chamber.
>>
>> "They're searching for our hoards." Skarn mutters. "And they'll be at it
>> soon."
>>
>> Therane turns to the company. "Above us is the temple. The ladder leads
>> underneath an altar that leads into the great hall.  We cannot be certain
>> of what is there, but we must make it out of the temple and to the
>> stables beside the chieftain's house.  There one of our hidden armories
>> lies.  If nothing else, we can blow the settlement to bits.  You have
>> helped us back into our homes, and now you wish access to one of the
>> hoards.  While there are nearer ones, it is certain that the Splugorth
>> will soon find it.  You may take your chances with us, for a hoard lies
>> beneath the armory, or you may go below, to the delvings." She points to
>> the hatch in the floor.
>>
>> "That is where we will flee when we have set the explosives." Therane
>> continues.  "We would be greatful for your continued help, and if it is
>> treasure like the cold iron that you seek, you may find the help of a few
>> dwarfs in carrying it to be of some advantage.  It is up to you."
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> "I've been wondering how we're going to carry enough cold iron to make
> this trip matter, and I'm sure your friends back on the ship will be happy
> to know we stayed with you the whole way." Oz glances at Alex, Vesper, and
> Ted.  "I think we'll stick with you to the armory and the hoard there."
> [/Oz]

> [Ted]
> "Works for me," the lizard man replies. "I demolitions experience, too.
> Rigging explosives for the desired effect should be easy enough."

Skarn seems very pleased. "It is good to know that we have allies even in
these dark days."

Therane seems more reserved, and doesn't do a terribly good job of hiding
her doubts about the likelihood of success.

> Vesper heads down to rejoin the dwarves and checks to see if any of the
> Kittani E Clips fit his weapons.
>
> Otherwise he remains alert to make sure Alex is ok as well as the others.

Unfortunately, the Kittani e-clips are not compatible without modification
with weapons manufactured in North America and NGR.

> "Can you create a portal back to the ship?" the red headed scout asks. She
> has about as much gear as she can carry unless she can manage to resupply
> her grenades.  "Might want to see if I can get somebody to tinker and
> create a jamming grenade.  Not skilled enough to make anything like that
> myself."

> "I can try it will be draining but I have some other power sources which
> might allow me to do so."
>
> Vesper judges things the ship not being too far.

The ship is about a mile away.

> "We can try more conventional means but keep that as an emergency option?"
>
> She does understand draining because it can happen to her with her own
> psychic abilities.  kind of nervous that something else might go wrong.

> "Alright I will try to conserve my energy then if we need to take that
> route.  It's strange I don't rely on this too often."
>
> He looks at his rifle. Then smiles briefly, "Alright let's get that cold
> Iron help these dwarves and get out of here."

Taking the cue, Skarn climbs quickly up the ladder and carefully opens the
hatch. He quickly climbs the rest of the way, disappearing through the
opening.

A few moments later his head appears. "Quick!" he says. "I hear Kydians
nearby. If they're not in the building, they must be near one of the doors."

When everyone has climbed up, they find themselves in a large arched
chamber. The entire structure seems to be made of stone, with cunningly
carved stone rafters that look like petrified wood. In front of them is a
large stone altar. There is a door behind them, and another, much larger
iron door to the front. The rest of the chamber has no furnishings; just a
stone floor polished to absolute mirror-like smoothness.

There are two bodies; two dwarfs, one old and one not much older than a
teenager.  Both have been riddled by energy weapons.

Tears well up in Therane's eyes. "That is our priest, Oleg." she says. "The
butchers..." She takes a moment to clam herself down.

Outside the large doors can be heard a number of gutteral voices; Kydians
talking in their own language.

"They almost certainly will have the doors watched." Skarn says. "At least
the doors they know about. Follow us."

The whole company; the party and the dwarfs, are lead quickly across to what
appears to be a blank wall. Skarn utters a few words in his own language,
and the outline of a door appears. He pushes on it and it swings silently
open to reveal a narrow stone passage about twenty feet long. Again a hidden
door is revealed.

Skarn opens it, and it reveals the town itself. They are standing at the end
of a short dead end alley. To either side are what must be wings of the
temple itself; tall solid stone walls that stand at least forty feet high. A
street can be seen at the end of the alley. Along the street are several
stone houses.

They cannot see a house that hasn't been at least somewhat damaged. Some are
little more than rubble, others are punched through with holes. There are
bodies; both dwarf and Kydian, but mainly Kydian, lying on the street and in
the alley itself. About a dozen dwarfs; all women and children, have been
tied up in the middle of the street and are being guarded by a couple of
Kydians. Above a Slaver barge can be seen approaching.

Though they cannot see beyond the street, they can hear infrequent gunfire.
There are still a few dwarfs fighting, but there cannot be many.

Skarn is so angry he can barely speak, but Therane, showing her mettle, for
the moment ignores her fellow dwarfs' plight and says "The chieftain's house
is on the street, about eight houses to the left. We can try to get on to
that street, though it's clear we will meet opposition. Prepare for death,
my friends."
[/GM]

[Louissa]
"That's an interesting plan..." Louissa says dubiously. "Or some of us could
try to scale one of these walls, and make for the rooftops." She looks to
her companions to talk some sense into Therane.
[/Louissa]

mightymartianca at gmail.com