[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVI - Assault on the Kydians

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:36:15 UTC 2014

>> The whole company; the party and the dwarfs, are lead quickly across to
>> what appears to be a blank wall.  Skarn utters a few words in his own
>> language, and the outline of a door appears.  He pushes on it and it
>> swings silently open to reveal a narrow stone passage about twenty feet
>> long.  Again a hidden door is revealed.
>>
>> Skarn opens it, and it reveals the town itself. They are standing at the
>> end of a short dead end alley.  To either side are what must be wings of
>> the temple itself; tall solid stone walls that stand at least forty feet
>> high.  A street can be seen at the end of the alley.  Along the street
>> are several stone houses.
>>
>> They cannot see a house that hasn't been at least somewhat damaged. Some
>> are little more than rubble, others are punched through with holes. There are bodies; both dwarf and Kydian, but mainly Kydian, lying on the
>> street and in the alley itself.  About a dozen dwarfs; all women and
>> children, have been tied up in the middle of the street and are being
>> guarded by a couple of Kydians.  Above a Slaver barge can be seen
>> approaching.
>>
>> Though they cannot see beyond the street, they can hear infrequent
>> gunfire.  There are still a few dwarfs fighting, but there cannot be
>> many.
>>
>> Skarn is so angry he can barely speak, but Therane, showing her mettle,
>> for the moment ignores her fellow dwarfs' plight and says "The
>> chieftain's house is on the street, about eight houses to the left.  We
>> can try to get on to that street, though it's clear we will meet
>> opposition.  Prepare for death, my friends." [/GM]

>> [Louissa]
>> "That's an interesting plan..." Louissa says dubiously. "Or some of us
>> could try to scale one of these walls, and make for the rooftops." She
>> looks to her companions to talk some sense into Therane.
>> [/Louissa]

> [Vesper]
> "Damnit, I want to do something to help them." Vesper looks to Oz.

> "Going on rooftops is very dangerous, we are better off going from
> building to building.  In some fights, it is even best to break down walls
> in order to stay under cover."
> [/Alex]

> [Oz]
> Oz nods at Alex while looking at Louissa and Therane. "They've got
> watchtowers and air cover.  Going on the street or the roofs is just
> asking to be shot unless we're all invisible.  Moving through buildings
> until we can get as close as we can before we have to break cover is our
> best bet."
> [/Oz]

[Louissa]
Louissa nods as well, and turns to Ted for his opinion. While she awaits his
answer, she shakes her head. "Is there anything we can do for those poor
people? They're going to be taken prisoner to Atlantis, a fate, if rumor is
true, that is worse than death."
[/Louissa]

[GM]
Skarn nods, and then looks to Oz and Therane. "Let me lead three of our
people to their aid. Perhaps we will rescue them, but perhaps we can also
create a diversion. The rest of you can find a way to the hoard."

> "I am not an expert with explosions but maybe some demolition charges could
> be set to deal with some of the attackers?

Skarn nods. "Any other suggestions?" The young dwarf seems very
conscious that they need to move quickly to find the cold iron, but
wants to free as many of his people as possible.

mightymartianca at gmail.com