[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVII - Return to Hoburn Hill

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:07:08 UTC 2015

>> [GM]
>> Alex's shot hits the captor's leg [Damage: 20MD], followed by Oz's
>> shot which strikes the captor's back [Damage: 24MD]. Vesper's covering
>> fire doesn't hit anything, but certainly forces the captor's
>> companion's to take cover and protecting Ted, who is completely
>> exposed on the bridge, from being blown away.
>>
>> As to Louissa's captor, it stumbles as Alex's shot hits it. It must
>> have some sort of megadamage protection, because it (and its
>> companions) look to be largely naked, and the leg doesn't disappear at
>> a megadamage strike. Oz's shot nails the creature right in the back,
>> and this time the damage is visible, even in the bluish ley line
>> light, as a large black smoking hole appears, and the creature falls
>> over, trapping Louissa beneath its body. She doesn't appear to move.
>>
>> The other captors find what cover they can behind rocks and scrub, but
>> on the wall several figures can be seen, and they too open fire,
>> shooting wildly in Ted and the rest of the company's directions, as
>> several figures run out of the gate towards Louissa. Such is the
>> intensity of the fire that Vesper, Oz and Alex on the hillside are
>> forced to take cover as trees and huge chunks of the hillside are
>> blown away. Ted, too, is forced to dive for cover, though he notes
>> that all are firing at his head, and none seem keen to actually fire
>> at the bridge he is on.
>>
>> Behind the three companions on the hill side, the borg Jacek and a
>> number of his bandits appear, and return fire as best they can, though
>> they too are unwilling to risk the barrage. "This is turning into a
>> frontal assault!" Jacek shouts.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> "Try to hold back the reinforcements!" Oz switches to his grenade
> launcher and starts firing past Louissa and her captor, trying to lay down
> a curtain of explosions to keep away the figures running toward her.
> [Strikes: 11, 14, 11]
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Oz's grenades accomplish their effect, forcing the humanoids racing
towards Louissa to seek cover [Damage: 18MD, 12MD, 5MD].
[/GM]

[Jacek]
Jacek joins as well, laying down suppressing fire with his rail gun
[Strike: 15], actually hitting two of the figures [Damage: 11MD,
16MD].
[/Jacek]

> [Alex]
> Vesper, can you teleport us behind them and maybe intercept him before
> they get away?"
>
> Otherwise, Alex will get ready to fire a concussion round from her grenade
> launcher to disrupt them.

> "There is enough power here to do so, but that will put us in the open,
> and there is a lot of fire power out there."
>
> Vesper clicks on his forcefield. "Is that what everyone wants, if so we
> can do it."

> "Vesper, is there anywhere you can put us that there would be some
> cover?" the red headed scout asks.

> Ted keeps his head down the best he can while maintaining line of sight
> on Louissa. He scrambles behind the nearest cover available, trying to
> get closer without getting killed. ~Louissa,~ he transmits telepathically,
> ~I am on my way.~
>
> OOC: How far is Ted from Louissa? the bunker?

Ted is about three hundred feet from Louissa, and she is lying about
two hundred feet from the main gate.

As Ted does his best to find cover, he's barely stepped off the bridge
when he feels something wrap around his feet and yank him back. He
looks back to see a tentacle about six inches in diameter wrapped
around his leg with several more tentacles, some as much as two feet
in diameter racing towards him. They come from over the bridge,
somewhere down in the river.

Everyone else can see this to, bioluminscent tentacles racing towards
Ted, and something very large and glowing underneath the bridge in the
river. Ted is being pulled back over the edge of the bridge quite
rapidly.

> As Vesper looks out, he sees that beyond the pyramid compound
> there are overgrown remnants of an old park. This is on the far side
> of the compound. No one can say if it isn't crawling with guards,
> booby traps or worse, but it is one possibility. Another is the ruins
> of the supercity itself. Many of the skyscrapers and other tall
> buildings are still standing, or partially standing. These are farther
> away than the small overgrown park, but still offer cover. Up to the
> company which way to go.

> Vesper let's them know their options. His choice would be the city
> less out in the open.

> "Lets try it," Alex responds.

With Oz, Jacek and Jacek's men laying covering fire, Vesper casts
teleport with an eye on the ruined skyscrapers. Just as he and Alex
are teleporting, the nexus rumbles and a surge of leyline energy
pulses through the entire area. Vesper can feel his spell going awry,
like intense nausea in the pit of his stomach.

It becomes very clear that they are not quite where Vesper had
intended, as they fall about ten feet before striking a hard surface.
When they regain their wits, they see the pyramid complex *below*
them. The surface they landed on is heavily cracked and weathered
concrete, with gaping holes that lead into the darkness. There is an
edge about one hundred feet away, and the ground below must be a
thousand feet. They have teleported about a thousand feet up from
where Vesper intended, on the roof of a skyscraper.

There is a rooftop access about seventy feet away that should lead to
stairs, but the roof of this skyscraper looks very treacherous.

Meanwhile, Oz and his company share bombardments with the creatures in
the compound. While this is keeping any of the humanoid creatures from
getting Louissa, with Ted being dragged towards the river, saving her
may be difficult now. Worst of all, they see no sign of where Alex or
Vesper went after the teleport stpell.

mightymartianca at gmail.com