[Taocow PBEM] [Alex] Book 3 - Chapter XVII

Kitsune kitsunefx at netzero.net
Wed Aug 5 15:24:30 UTC 2015

[Alex]
Even though they get off a moment before she does, she is able to
rapidly catch up. (ooc: Her running speed is better than the current
female 400 meter dash record.) With her rifle ready, she scans for
threats, ready to take any out. Has a feeling that there is no time for
neatness.
[/Alex]

On 2015-08-04 15:31, Aaron Clausen wrote:
> [GM]
> As Vesper and his familiars leave, Alex is left behind with the leader
> and the three other volunteers. The four quickly lead Alex down the
> stairs and into the bowels of the building. Here the centuries of
> exposure to water have done their real damage. The concrete of the
> stairs at points has simply crumbled away, leaving the steel frames to
> rust to the point where they can support no weight. Here the locals
> have built ladders made out of metal, wood, wire and whatever else
> they can scrounge. After they've gone down a few floors even the light
> of the leylines and nexus have disappeared and only torches and Alex's
> own equipment shines the way.
>
> Finally they reach the level the locals have been looking for. By
> Alex's estimate it must be about four floors down. There is an old
> steel door that has been blocked as best as could be managed with
> large pieces of concrete. The company moves quickly to push aside the
> rubble and then they push the door open.
>
> Alex is confronted by a vast space, at least two thousand feet long
> and probably the same wide. Huge pillars hold up the ceiling, which
> stands about twenty feet high. The entire space is filled with
> "autos", that is vehicles. There must be a few thousand of them, row
> after row, makes and models from the last days before the Apocalypse.
> All look to be civilian vehicles; some wheeled, some hover, a few even
> on tracks. Most of the vehicles are in incredibly poor condition,
> having rusted by storms that washed in water from above.
>
> All is dark, save for a faint luminescence about seven or eight
> hundred feet away, a blinking red light.
>
> The leader tugs at Alex. "We have to go, the A-Yee lives here, and it
> has bots that guard the place. Most don't work so well, but a few can
> hurt."
>
> He points ahead. "There's a hatch that leads down to the water
> tunnels. Now run!"
>
> The four don't even wait for Alex and start running. As she follows,
> she sees the red light begin to blink faster, and a green light
> appear. She hears the "crunch" of something approaching, probably on
> treads. Meanwhile her companions have reached what appears to be a
> large manhole cover, and are busily trying to lift it.
>
> And then a voice booms in an English accent out, "Alert! Alert!
> Security breach! Alert! Produce your ident card or number and await
> the concierge. If you lack authorization, please place your hands in
> the air and do not move, and an Authority will arrive to facilitate
> your detainment and your punishment."
>
> Alex here's the crunching sound approaching from her left, and the
> faint light of a scanning beam searching for whomever is on this
> floor.

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope of reward,
then we are a sorry lot indeed -
- Albert Einstein, German-born American Physicist

Kitsune
Email:     kitsune at addr.com or kitsunefx at netzero.net
Homepage:  http://www.kitsune.addr.com/