[Taocow PBEM] [Oz] Book 3 - Chapter XVII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 20:30:22 UTC 2015

>> [GM]
>> Oz's men and Jacek's troop immediately set about turning the hillside
>> to slag. The firepower is impressive, and within a minute the entire
>> hillside is nothing but flames and molten rock. Whoever was firing on
>> them is either dead or has fled.
>>
>> But Oz and Ithdalkal aren't watching. They've plunged through the fire
>> to the other side. Behind them other members of the crew fight to put
>> the flames out, but the smoke is thick enough to obscure vision.
>>
>> Then Ithdalkal points to an open hatch. "Has gone into the hold, he
>> has!" she says.
>>
>> The two plunge down the narrow stairs and then down a ladder and into
>> the hold. It is dimly lit, and there are more shadows than light.
>>
>> And then Oz and Ithdalkal hear it. A familiar child's voice, kindly
>> and gently saying "Oh, you must free me from these terrible people.
>> Soon I'll grow into a Breeder, and if you bring me to your big chief,
>> you'll get such a reward. Now quickly with that lock..."
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz screams into his radio- not just the unit's encrypted band, but the
> frequency he used with Alex and Vesper as well. "It's going to try to free
> the demon! Heavy weapons to the hold!" Oz scans for the invisible
> creature with every sensor he has, determined to shoot it as soon as
> he spots it.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
The hold is full enough that there's no clear view of the cage, or of
where the creature must be.
[/GM]

> [Oz]
> "Ithdalkal, don't hesitate when we spot it- kill it before it opens that
> cage!"
> [/Oz]

[Ithdalkal]
Ithdalkal nods. "My lord," she says, "I will take one side of the
hold, and you should take the other." She doesn't wait for an answer
and quickly heads off; silently, quickly and lithely.
[/Ithdalkal]

[GM]
And then Oz sees the creature, not clearly, but he can see its shape
fumbling with the heavy lock of the cage. The "little girl" is urging
the creature on. "They're almost here," the girls hisses. "Quickly,
quickly, a little to the left, that's..."

Oz has his shot and takes it [Strike:17, Damage: 40MD]. Whatever
invisibility field the creature had fails, and Oz gets to see the
creature cut in two by the JA-12 burst. The two halves of the corpse
quiver for a moment, and the hold fills with the smell, hideously like
fried ham.
[/GM]

[Ithdalkal]
Ithdalkal appears from behind some creates, and salutes Oz. "That was
an excellent shot, my lord," she says simply, though there's clear
adoration in her blind eyes.
[/Ithdalkal]

[GM]
The little girl just stands there, staring at the smoking corpse of
her would-be liberator. She looks at Oz with that sickening little
girl smile.

"Now why did you have to go and do that?" she asks. "He was a nice,
accommodating fellow, for a twisted tenth generation mutant human
freak. He probably would have tasted just as good, but you humans
always like your food so overcooked."

Meanwhile, on deck Oz can hear the heavy energy weapons still firing.
Over his coms, his Sergeant asks, "Sir, we've basically turned the
hillside to molten lava. Recommend we cease fire so we can communicate
with the rest of your company."

mightymartianca at gmail.com