[Taocow PBEM] [Vesper] Book 3 - Chapter XVII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 23:39:22 UTC 2015

>> Above the pyramid, the nexus seems to be gaining energy. The leylines
>> pulse with mystical powers, bolts of pure force dancing and crackling.
>> This is Vesper's area of expertise, and he can tell that this nexus
>> point is within minutes of forming a rift. He can also glean that the
>> pyramid seems built as a sort of dimensional focusing machine, a sort
>> of interdimensional teleporter whose purpose is likely to open up
>> portals to specific dimensions.
>>
>> As Vesper observes this, about ten feet away from him he sees what
>> looks like an old sewer manhole cover pop open and a Malig is
>> climbing out.

> Vesper looked for cover and a place to hide he knew what the Maligs were
> doing and he gritted his teeth.
> He knew they were sacrificing people probably to open the portal. How the
> hell could he get up there to stop it though.
> Focusing on his familiar he said, "See any grenades on these creatures if so
> pull the pins on ones away from the prisoners."
> He tried to find someplace deep in shadow to hide and took out his rifle to
> use the sight to get a better idea of what was occurring at the top
> of the pyramid.
> [/Vesper]

OOC: Vesper has two familiars, so I'll have both of them set to work.
You know, for fun and giggles!

[GM]
As Vesper finds a darker corner to hide in, his familiars scurry off.
Once the first Malig is out, two others follow behind. Somewhere down
below the manhole there's a couple of loud explosions, and the Maligs
laugh, sounding not unlike blubbery fish.

They laugh, that is, until one of them explodes, knocking his
companions to the ground and sending a hail of flesh, blood and bone
everywhere. That's followed by a second Malig exploding, with similar
results. The third Malig is blown against a low concrete wall and does
not move. Vesper's little companions have done their job and quickly
scurry back to him.

Up above, Vesper can see the first glimpses of the rift that is to
come, a tiny circle of darkness surrounded by a shimmering blue corona
of ley line energy.

That's when the ship finally contacts him. The signal is poor due to
nexus interference, but Vesper hears one of the crew saying "Vesper,
Ted, Alex, Louissa, does anybody read? What is your situation. We're
monitoring the nexus opening into a rift. Can you confirm?"

mightymartianca at gmail.com