[Taocow PBEM] [Oz] Book 3 - Chapter XVII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:38:56 UTC 2016

>> [Lenny]
>> Lenny the Battle Magus laughs. "Yes, he's come in handy on
>> occasion. One of my better illusions. Once chased a CS squad ten
>> miles before they figured out that it was an illusion!"
>>
>> Lenny turns to Alex. "Er, no offense."
>> [/Lenny]

> [Alex]
> Alex can think of several ways to answer him however she finally just
> answers, "I am just a scout. I have no interest in fighting those who
> are not a threat."
> [/Alex]

[Lenny]
Lenny nods. "I didn't mean anything bad by it. I've worked with a few
former Coalition soldiers."
[/Lenny]

[...]

>> [GM]
>> Veronique's companions are quickly introduced. Two are New Camelot
>> soldiers; Corporal Slekka, a red skinned D-Bee with four eyes, and
>> long arms that end at seven fingered hands and Sergeant Lebrath, a
>> mutant rabbit who looks almost comical; a cuddly-looking bunny in
>> combat gear.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz nods at the New Camelot soldiers. "Corporal, Sergeant."
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Both soldiers crisply salute.

>> Oz's Sergeant shakes his head. "No casualties but some rattled nerves,
>> Sir! These New Strathclyde types seem to pack a punch, but didn't seem
>> to know where to land the blows. Of course, that big bloody giant
>> helped too!"
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> "That's one thing right, then. Thank you, Top." He nods at Lady
> Veronique. "With no blood to answer for, I will release the General,
> with a message to New Strathclyde as to his location."
> [/Oz]

>> [GM]
>> "Lieutenant Mary McLaren, formerly of the New Strathclyde at your
>> service, Sirs," she says, eyeing up the General, who returns her looks
>> with a poisonous glance.
>>
>> "I'm requesting asylum with New Camelot for my troops and myself," she
>> bows on one knee and offers up her vibrosword. "I offer this sword in
>> the service of Arr'thu, King of New Camelot, and swear my life and the
>> life of my soldiers to the protection of the King and His realm!"
>>
>> Lady Veronique's companion, the mutant rabbit Lebrath suggests,
>> "Perhaps this is the time to announce the field promotion."
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> As he had with the dwarves and the leyline ship sailors, Oz formally
> took the Lieutenant's sword. His words were starting to sound like
> ritual now, he had said them so many times. ""On your oath, as a sworn
> Knight Commander on behalf of King Arrthu, I accept your service to
> crown and country. Do you swear to be faithful and bear true
> allegiance to His Majesty King Arrthu, his heirs and successors, and
> that you will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend His
> Majesty, his heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against
> all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of His Majesty, his
> heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over you?"
>
> When the Lieutenant had accepted, Oz returned Lieutenant McLaren's
> sword. "Then rise, Lieutenant McLaren, and welcome to the King's
> service and this unit." He looked over at his colour sergeant. "We're
> going to have to give ourselves a name, soon, Top. 'This unit' isn't
> cutting it."

[GM]
"The Motley Crew," someone says in a hushed tone, to a few stifled laughs.
[/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz nodded at his top enlisted man. "Top here will see that your people
> get settled, McLaren. We'll talk again in a few hours about
> integrating you into our org charts and order of battle."
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Lieutenant McLaren salutes. "Aye sir! And thank you."
[/GM]

>>> [Lady Veronique]
>>> "Oh yes, and Alex some good news for you. You are to
>>> be knighted, military rank of Major, and the title Lady Alex
>>> Hawke of Bickenhall. There is a small estate attached to
>>> this as well. The formal ceremony is on hold, but I'm sure
>>> it will happen eventually."
>>> [/Lady Veronique]

> [Oz]
> The Euro knight looked curiously at Lady Veronique. "Bickenhall? I
> don't believe I've heard of that estate. Where is it located?"
> [/Oz]

> [Alex]
> This however makes Alex looks absolutely confused, "Ah, Ah, What did
> I do to deserve anything like that. I am not a cyber knight. Just a
> scout and maybe a soldier."

> "You made a very good impression Alex, and for all the fighting we
> have been doing for these lands it is a nice reward for your
> services."
>
> To Lenny, "Alex is one of the best people to have around when you
> need someone to watch your back, I trust her with my life."

> Alex just shakes her head.

The mutant rabbit Lebrath tries to explain. "The King knows that you
were part of the Coalition armed forces, and as such, even as a
deserter, you are, while not technically an enemy of New Camelot, are a
member of a force that is an enemy to a number of New Camelot allies.
Giving you a knighthood and a rank in New Camelot will allow you to move
freely throughout New Camelot, and through the territory of allies of
New Camelot. Your other companions may receive similar awards soon enough."

>> The Sergeant whistles. "Unless there are any objections, Sir Oz and
>> Lady Veronique, I'm going to have the General taken off the ship, and
>> hopefully he doesn't spend too long out on the ice."
>>
>> The General says nothing as he is picked up and taken off the ship.
>> Once that is done, with a considerable amount of creaking and
>> rumbling, the ley line ship takes off. It is damaged and badly in need
>> of further repair, but this doesn't seem the right place to make those
>> repairs.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz nods at the sergeant. "Have comms send his coordinates to New
> Strathclyde and make sure they know he is alive and well as of when we
> set him down. We don't want to be accused of killing their General
> when we didn't actually have the satisfaction."
> [/Oz]

> [Vesper]
> Vesper introduces himself to the others and pays particular interest
> in Lenny once he mentions the Federation of Magic.
>
> He asks Lenny about how things are in the Federation now and news of
> North America in general.
>
> When things calm down he asks if Alex is ok.
> [/Vesper]

[Lenny]
"Well, there's certainly been an uptick in Coalition attacks," Lenny
says. "All in all, the Coalition seems more interested in pushing
westward. I've heard some rumblings that Free Quebec isn't too happy,
and even heard an interesting rumor before I left that Free Quebec had
set up its own embassies in Iron Heart and in some of the small eastern
kingdoms. Of course, as I understand it, certain enemies of the
Coalition are sowing the seeds of discord as well."
[/Lenny]

mightymartianca at gmail.com