[Taocow PBEM] [Oz] Book 3 - Chapter XVIII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:15:41 UTC 2016

> > "Yes," the voice says, "that's it, and no, we can't see anything except
this
> > horrible place. But if it's destroyed, someone here thinks we'll be
locked
> > on this side. But you can help another way. The gateway is feeding off
the
> > fuel in the reactor. Somehow it can pull neutrons or protons or
whatever it
> > is that those fuel rods give off. If the reactor is brought online
again, it
> > might weaken it. Or that's what the engineer thought, before she was
> > killed."
> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> "I might be able to do that. I'm going to go quiet now while I'm working,
but I'm still here. We'll do our best to get you out of there." Oz turned
his attention back to the ship's computers, this time focusing on the
reactor and what he could do to get it running again.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
While finding the reactor controls is fairly simple, the systems themselves
being designed by a Triax subsidiary and based on their operating system,
the system immediately alerts Oz that the reactor control circuits are
offline.

A schematic appears showing that both the primary control cables and the
two backup cables have been severed. Camera views come online showing
someone has severed all three cables as well as literally blasting a hole
in a bypass switching unit that could have been used to redirect some other
system to take control of the reactor. Someone did not want that reactor
restarted.

The only help the computer can offer is for someone to go repair one of the
cables, not in and of itself a very difficult job, providing nothing else
has been done to the reactor or its control circuits. The computer cannot
determine this because the cables connecting to monitoring equipment were
severed as well. Alternatively the reactor could be restarted from the
reactor controls adjacent to the reactor.