[Taocow PBEM] [Oz] Book 3 - Chapter XVIII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:32:13 UTC 2016

OOC: Hope everyone had a good holiday.

>> [GM]
>> It takes a bit of work, but in the end Oz finds the controls for the
>> lights, and they turn on with a brilliant white flair. Oz can now
>> clearly see signs of struggle. There are energy blast burns on the
>> walls, along with pits and scars all over the place from energy beam
>> fire. Disturbingly, on the rung of a ladder, there is a hand still
>> clinging, the body having clearly been torn from it.
>>
>> The slumped figure is either a very slender cyborg or a robot. There
>> is a hole in its chest where someone fired on it.
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz cautiously moves over to the dead cyborg and puts out a hand to pull it
> away from the reactor control panel so he can get at it himself.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Nothing happens as Oz moves gently through the engine room to the
reactor controls. As he gets closer to the humanoid, it becomes clear
that it must be a robot, and not a cyborg. The head is too small, and
is shaped more like a stretched out egg. There are two eyes, both
black, but no visible mouth orifice. The bot is made out of a silvery
metal that, save for where it has been scored by energy weapons fire,
reflects light like a mirror. As Oz moves past it, he sees an identity
patch on the back of its slender silvery neck which reads "Unit 7442".
Oz also notices that the bot is still clutching a hand-held multitool
in one of its six fingered hands. One final observation is that the
hole in chest is about five inches wide, and he can see what's left of
some fairly advanced electronics; some sort of fiber optic strands
with little nodules that might be some sort of processors. This is
well beyond anything Oz has ever seen before.

The control panel for the reactor is dead, and it becomes clear why as
Oz looks over it. A panel has been opened below it and someone once
again went over the cabling with a laser tool. It looks relatively
easy to restore power to the panel, but Oz is going to have to do a
bit of rewiring to get the control circuits up and running [OOC: I'm
going to assume Oz sets to work repairing the cabling, Computer Repair
skill check: 44%]. It takes a few minutes, but Oz is able to power up
the control panel and get reactor status.

A read out displays "Reactor Cold T+18 hours 15 minutes 21 seconds",
indicating it has been eighteen hours since the reactor was completely
shut down. Oz easily takes control of the reactor control systems
[Computer Programming: 17%], and then another display turns on,
reading out "Time to Cold Start Reactor: 17 minutes. Proceed? Yes/No".

mightymartianca at gmail.com