[Taocow PBEM] Book 3 - Chapter XVII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:53:07 UTC 2016

>> As the company eats, the General explains that the Third Unified
>> Division is the only surviving part of the New Strathclyde Army, that
>> fled the final confrontation thirty years ago, when the Fomorians
>> seized the last great fortress. "By that point, a power struggle
>> between the rival factions of Clan Galbraith had already done their
>> worst. I was forced to seize power, what little there was, and rally
>> as many surviving troops to the Third Unified Division, and we made
>> for our stronghold. Since then, we've slowly began trying to clear the
>> old supercity of Maligs and Fomorians, and everything else. There are
>> still a few surviving remnants of Clan Galbraith about, enough that
>> they might do us harm, so we kept ourselves to this area."
>>
>> "I'll confess we had some scouts south of the River Mersey who
>> reported your approach, and we were able to do a partial decryption of
>> some your radio chatter to determine that you were from New Camelot.
>> We knew New Camelot still existed, and even had a few agents there
>> from time to time, but we kept to ourselves, building our fortress and
>> preparing for a time when we might join our old allies in battle. And
>> now that time has come!"
>>
>> "But now, tell me of yourselves. I know you, Knight Commander Oz, are
>> a New Camelot commander, though your accent puts you decidedly east of
>> here. But what of the rest of you?"
>>
>> He is keen to hear whatever they will tell, and asks many questions
>> about what is happening in North America, and though he pleads
>> ignorance often enough, he lets slip enough details to indicate that
>> his knowledge of England and the wider world is far greater than he
>> would lead the company to believe. While he seems friendly, and
>> certainly is charismatic, something doesn't quite ring right about the
>> man.
>>
>> As they talk, a young soldier comes in and delivers a message. The
>> General opens it, quickly scans it, and nods to the soldier, "Make
>> sure containments are put in place," he says.
>>
>> He then turns back to the company. "Tell me about the supernatural
>> creature in your hold." It doesn't come out as a request, but sounds
>> an awful lot like a command.

> Vesper described what he knew of the states but his knowledge was
> dated as he hadn't been back there for a while. When the man asked
> the about the creature Vesper says, "It is an ancient creature of Chaos.
> Many would classify it a demon. Sadly we need it to heal a member of
> our group. So we have been forced to bring it along."

> Ted gives a nervous laugh and then stands up. "Well, sir," he begins.
> The lizard man glanced at the others, particularly Louissa, conscious
> that this creature's continued presence was clearly his fault. He
> explains, "cold iron keeps her in check, but she is a master of illusion.
> Already she has tried to various disguises on us. She--assuming it IS
> female--she also seems to be linked to me somehow. I have been
> [...]

The General shakes his head. "That is quite an account," he says. "I
truly am sorry that you have been cursed. When I was in the regular
army, I had a lieutenant who was cursed by a Faerie. Poor bugger
urinated wine until his kidneys failed him."

"You must be very valuable to New Camelot to have an entire leyline
ship and what appears to be a fairly significant company of regulars
and militia at your disposal. Even a team of dwarfs out of Wales, if I
am to understand things."

"It strikes me as a terrible waste of resources for a kingdom under
attack by the Splugorth to waste such troops to save a single
individual," the General continues. "No offense is meant, Mr. Smythe,
but as you can see, with our somewhat limited military force, we know
the value of every soldier, every gun, every combat vehicle. Why, with
your compliment, we could probably have a new forward ops team.
Besides, all you're going to do as you head north is attract the
Fomorians' attention, and you will all be dead within a day or two."

mightymartianca at gmail.com