[Taocow PBEM] [Alex, Vesper, Veronique and Ted] Book 3 - Chapter XVIII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:54:04 UTC 2016

>> Finally they reach the area where the worst break in the hull has
>> occurred. Water is bubbling up through the deck plating in a
>> steady stream, and in one spot that deck has been bent up. Fixing
>> this is going to mean cutting that piece of decking out, likely
>> using the Hull Sealer foam in the canisters, and then welding a new
>> piece of hull plating.
>>
>> Alex suspects the sealer foam's real purpose isn't so much to plug
>> the leak but to restore some structural integrity.
>>
>> According to the map they saw in the machine shop, there is
>> replacement plates of steel for the hull about fifty feet to their
>> left, beyond several stacks of shipping containers. The plates are
>> quite large, about ten feet by ten feet square, and very heavy,
>> requiring the use of the hover trolley to move.
>>
>> While they're loading the steel on to the trolley, they notice
>> that one of the shipping containers appears to have been cut open.
>> A closer examination reveals something much odder, almost as if the
>> container was cut open by something very hot *from the inside*.
>> Once again there's a faint smell of sulfur, and a strange
>> crackling, and then nothing.

> "Something else is down here, since I can't use that hull sealant I
> will remain on guard while you seal the hull." He says to Alex and
> Ted.
>
> On the radio, "Oz, something is down here with us an elemental
> possibly or a demon of some kind. Haven't seen it but smell fire and
> sulfur. We are going to work on the patching but might need some
> extra eyes and people good with melee weapons since guns and rifles
> are a bad idea."
> [/Vesper]

> [Oz]
> Oz replies over the radio, "Concur. We just got a flash of what
> looked like flame no more than 10 feet from you to your (whichever
> direction it was). You're the wizard, but my guess is demon or fire
> elemental. It's not showing up on sensors. Watch your backs."
> [/Oz]

> [Alex]
> Alex asks her dagger, "Do you sense anything?

Lady Veronique and Ted make their way down to the hold, following
largely the same route Vesper and Alex did a few moments before. They
too briefly smell the pungent odor of sulfur, but then it disappears again.

Down in the hold they can hear Alex and Vesper ahead, though they have
to make their way over the contents of broken crates. After a bit of
climbing, they make their way to their two companions. Alex seems to be
concentrating.

The ship begins to groan and shift again. Everyone is nearly thrown off
their feet as the ship moves a good couple of feet. The breach in the
hall widens and what is a bubbling little fountain becomes decidedly
more active, more like a geyser, letting in at least three times as much
water.

That's when the smell of sulfur reappears, and then a glowing red light,
the color of glowing coals appears right next to Ted. It's like a
glowing red ball, but there's movement within, indistinct, but like a
vortex. The ball itself isn't much larger than a basketball, but Ted
suddenly finds himself being pulled towards it. The others see him being
pulled, and it almost seems like his body is being slightly distorted,
stretched out as if the orb is altering matter around it.

And the water still bubbles in...
[/GM]

OOC: Though the volume of water getting into the ship is larger, it
would still take a few hours before it becomes critical.

mightymartianca at gmail.com