[Taocow PBEM] [Alex, Vesper, Veronique and Ted] Book 3 - Chapter XVIII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 02:51:02 UTC 2017

>> [GM]
>> "We know of your... friend," he says. "He has threatened our control
>> of the Crucible, and is being dealt with as we speak. We cannot
>> guarantee his safety."
>>
>> "We are under orders to capture the Crucible and gain control. That is
>> all I can disclose. Now, we have talked, so you can now hand over the
>> Crucible."
>>
>> As they are talking, Veronique and Vesper catch the two other figures
>> clench and unclench their fists, and then hear a strange buzzing
>> behind them. It's hard to see, but Veronique catches a glimpse of what
>> almost looks like an energy net beginning to surround the three of
>> them.
>>
>> "Turn over the Crucible now," the lead figure says.

> "This is not how people talk," Alex states, without raising her voice.
> "You expect everything from us while not wanting to explain. We want
> our friend safe, not being dealt with, and I want to know what you
> want this crucible for?"

"We have our purpose," the lead figure replies. "You must surrender
the Crucible. Your friend is not our concern."

> "We are under attack. Watch out for the nets." He calls to his
> companions as he moves to avoid being trapped in a net himself.
> [Dodge: 22]

Vesper is able to evade the net.
[/GM]

> [Veronique]
> Veronique tries her hand at "Diplomacy" she has the attributes
> for it but it's not normally her thing:
>
> "Drop the energy net.. I know you won't perforate the boat
> because if you do that then the crucible will be lost to the same
> ocean you threaten us with, and if you were so confident you
> wouldn't be trying to sneak attack us. I on the other hand will
> blow a hole through the boat  to prevent your crucible from
> preventing a larger threat to this world even if it means my
> own death. So if you do try and fight us, and we wind up
> losing you can guarantee that will be my final act. I don't even
> need to move much to do it, so even if something like your net
> was to work on me it wouldn't stop me from doing it.
>
> Of course, if I have your attention and you actually want to talk
> this through, I'm actually willing to let you take the crucible
> back to wherever you came from. I just want you to release our
> companions and the crew members it absorbed. We take our
> people, you take your orb, and get the hell out of our way. We
> repair our ship, and hopefully we never run into each other
> again."
>
> If anyone else with a more diplomatic state of mind wants to
> cut in here on the dialogue or suggest something else, feel
> free. Veronique is winging it.
> [/Veronique]

> [Vesper]
> Vesper will answer Alex if he is able to tell if they are magic
> or not."

The net is magical, and what's more, the energy net quickly
disappears, as the orb soaks up the energy. It then rises into the
air. The three figures seem uncertain, and then one cries out "It is
awake again, quick..." and then the orb's strange suctioning field
grabs the figure and pulls it in. Suddenly a cold voice announces from
the orb, "In command mode. Awaiting new instructions..."

The two remaining figures immediately hoist their staves and aim at the orb...