[Taocow PBEM] [Oz and Ted] Book 3 - Chapter XVIII

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 19:50:35 UTC 2017

OOC: I'm joining Ted's private thread to Oz's public one.

>> [GM]
>> "Oz?" he can hear the lizard man saying faintly. "Oz? Is that you?
>> This is Ted."
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz grunted at hearing Ted's voice. He didn't trust the lizard-man,
> not after the confusion with the doppelgangers, and he seemed to be a
> magnet for trouble matched only by the Lady Louissa. Plus there was
> no guarantee a disembodied voice from another dimension was what it
> sounded like. But he had to respond, so he did. "I hear you, Ted. Are
> you trapped over there with the crew of this ship? What's the
> situation?"
> [/Oz]

OOC: Note to Ted's player, Oz is asking you a question!

>> [GM]
>> The bot pipes up, "Heavy draining of reserves. The crucible is at
>> a low energy state. Batteries will drain soon. Recommend plugging
>> me into ship's power systems."
>> [/GM]

> [Oz]
> Oz nodded at the robot. "Give me a power cable for you. I'll dig one
> out of the console here." Oz rummaged around for a power coupling
> that was clearly not connected to the computer's controls- he did not
> want to inadvertently allow the robot to issue commands to the
> computer.
> [/Oz]

[GM]
Once the power cable is put in place, the bot's voice changes, becoming
smoother, and it speaks in almost accent-less American.

"That is much better," it says, "I can now route power to non-critical
systems."

Suddenly a holographic projection appears in front of the bot, showing
Ted in some sort of cave. Next to him is some sort of mutant cat woman.
She is behind him and saying "We can feel the crucible gaining some
energy. We cannot guarantee how much longer we'll be able to control our
impulses."

> "Then what do we need to do?" Ted asks.

The cat woman (shown in holographic projection to Oz back on the cargo
ship) replies, "That's up to your friends on the other side. If it gains
back enough energy, we go mad, and sooner or later so do you, and sooner
or later it will suck everyone on the ship over to this dimension, and
then they'll go mad."

On the ship, the bot turns its head to Oz. "The crucible is following
its last instructions. It can be reprogrammed, if we can repair the
machinery. It is possible for a psychic to reprogram it, but the risk of
permanent brain damage would be very high. Starving it of power,
however, will simply make it feed off of other sources, like PPE, and
ultimately off of bodily energy itself."

mightymartianca at gmail.com