[CrackMonkey] links, anybody?

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sat Jul 15 19:38:29 PDT 2000

On 16 Jul 2000, Paul J Collins wrote:

>     Jay> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Bob Bernstein wrote:
>
>     >> I'm looking for any decent discussion of social engineering of
>     >> the blackhat variety. Anyone care to regale me with a link or
>     >> two?
>
>     Jay> "Hello, I'm the new sysadmin.  Could I have your password?"
>
> Just because your techniques lack subtlety and/or intelligence does
> not mean that they are the state of the art.
>
> Paul.

http://www.microsoft.com

They have installed on millions of machines a whole substrate for all
known attacks.  But that required no subtlety, given the ignorance of the
mass media, and the refusal of Apple, Sun, IBM, etc. to offer a competing
substrate.  The subtlety came in making people pay for the use of the
substrate.  The joke does not end there.  Those who use the substrate
without turning on its stealth service are subject to prosecution in
several jurisdictions.

oo--JS.