[CrackMonkey] [Pigdog] Re: Camp Linux (Was: Article idea?)

Paul J Collins sneakums at eircom.net
Mon Jul 24 16:16:42 PDT 2000

    Monkey> begin  Paul J Collins quotation:
    >> One thing I've been wondering about; the package system.  At the
    >> moment, I build all my software from source, install em under
    >> /usr/local/stow (by changing $(prefix) during make install) and fold
    >> their trees into /usr/local using GNU stow.  Is there anything to be
    >> gained by preferring debs?

    Monkey> 	apt-get source --compile <packagename>

    Monkey> Don't like the way it built it?  go in, make some changes, and
    Monkey> then "fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage...".

    Monkey> That's how I got potato packages on my slink system: the
    Monkey> source debs in my sources.list were all potato, while my
    Monkey> binaries were slink.  It allowed me to go bleeding-edge on
    Monkey> mutt while keeping my libc nice and known-good.

Heh.  Don't talk to me about libc upgrades.  I am a fool who upgraded
an RH 4.1 install to glibc2 by hand, piece by piece.  I ran a libc5 X
on top of it for about two months before I finally got the glibc2
stuff.  As I recall I kept a sh script called wrap5 lying around for
stuff that barfed badly in the schizoid environment I had created.  I
think I wound up with around 90% glibc2 binaries before I blew it all
away last December and installed Mandrake.  I kept all my stow
packages, though, and they all worked.

Those were the days.

    Monkey> Of course, now I'm potato, but I still like to take the
    Monkey> woody packages now and then.

Woody is Debian 2.3, yes?

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD