[CrackMonkey] [mailman-owner@zork.net: CrackMonkey Subscribe Notification]

Alex Feinberg alex at galaxy.strlen.net
Mon Jul 31 13:50:45 PDT 2000

> "EFM isn't designed to run on a 486. In order toget the alpha blending
> and anti-aliasing and overlays for backgrounds and all that stuff
> people have been asking for some sacrifices have been made, and thus it
> actually requires a lot of computing power to run the display of your
> files."

Yes, why do they use such CPU intensive code? Amiga Workbench, under which
EFM is modeled (as told by some of the developers) ran on 50 Mhz, if not
slower, machines.

> "Notice EFM has no text configuration files. All information is held in
> database files. The e_db_ed program is a small utility designed to add,
> delete and change entries in the database files."

Dumbest idea I've ever seen. Why use a structure like a database, which
provides much un-needed overlay, when in fact such a thing could be
acomplished in a text file -- that would require less code, less libraries
to link with (gdbm I believe is what EFM asks for) and it would be human
readable.

Of course, databases are needed for many other things, but not if there's a
much simpler way to implement what's needed.

I do not wish to insult enlightenment hackers, I just argue that they are
going about implementation of their ideas on a completely wrong way.

--
Alex "strlen" Feinberg
alex at galaxy.strlen.net / strlen at fix.no