[free-sklyarov] FW> 'COMMENTARY: STEALING IS STEALING'

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Thu Aug 16 14:37:38 PDT 2001

cc: seyboldreports

While I agree that it is wrong to violate the copyrights of authors
and musicians, this article is an appalling over-simplification and
distortion of the facts.  Dmitry is not being prosecuted, not for any
copyright violation or theft.  Rather he has only violated a bad law,
the DMCA.  The DMCA is an unwelcome and  unwarranted usurpation of free
speech and fair use rights, which are constitutionally protected.  Thus
the law is also unconstitutional, and it will certainly be cast down or
changed.

It is simply wrong to make Dmitry the test case for a law that is so
clearly bad.  Moreover, so-called "intellectual property" cannot be
protected by such laws as the DMCA, and those who try will only reap
tremendous PR damage.

Please refrain from the absurd comparison of Dmitry's actions with
theft.  We are the thieves.  We in this country have stolen his freedom
for no good reason.

Regards,
Michael L. Love
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/