[free-sklyarov] reasons for restriction of competition

Bob Smart bobds at blorch.org
Mon Aug 20 20:14:13 PDT 2001

On Monday 20 August 2001 14:58, you wrote:

> I've gotten no feedback on this.  Aside from the implausibility that our
> government would adopt separate standards for separate, predefined spheres
> of interaction, what do people think?

Since you ask: I think that in the bardic tradition, people paid for two
things: novelty, and performance.  If I came to your town with news (or songs
and jokes) that you hadn't already heard, you'd feed me dinner in exchange
for the novelty.  If I came to your town singing songs you'd known all your
life, but I could sing them better than you could, you'd feed me again for
the performance.

However, if I told you a story you'd never heard, and then the next day you
told it to one of your buddies, nobody in the Good Old Days would have even
imagined for a minute that you owed me anything like a royalty or license fee
for each repetition.

We even still do it today--how many times has Jay Leno told a joke on the
Tonight Show, and the next morning everybody's telling it to each other
around the water cooler at the office?  Is anybody compensating Leno?  Or is
his only "compensation" indirect, in the form of a reputation--that if we
listen to his show ("performance") again tomorrow, he might tell another good
joke we also haven't heard before ("novelty")?  THAT's why he gets to live in
the big fancy house.

> Well, I point you to Shakespeare, Euclid, Van Gogh, and myriad authors and
> inventors of the past who did their work for reasons other than artificial
> monopoly.

Indeed.  It's even true for pre-Classical authors, like the long-forgotten
souls who bequeathed us the Epic of Gilgamesh (which, coincidentally, begins
with the line, "It is an old story, but one that may still be told").

It sure is, and it sure may.  Let's see who's still reciting Baywatch
scripts a couple of thousand years from today.

--

What I wrote above is hereby dedicated to the public domain and may be freely
used, in whole or in part, with or without attribution.