[free-sklyarov] "Free"..."Prisoner"...."Exile"...??

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Mon Dec 17 09:49:45 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:45:06AM -0600, Ernest A. Erickson wrote:
> Okay, let's set aside personal conviction/s.
> IF Dmitry does get to leave and return home, then HOW can the U.S. force
> him to maintain contact with the court if he so chooses not to?
> And if he chooses not to stay in contact with said court/s; what
> authority does ANY U.S. court have in a "foreign" land not under our
> legal jurisdiction?

the US has in the past and is reserving the right to do in the future,
taken foreign nationals by force from their homelands into the US in
order to be tried in court. AFAIK there is even a specific law that
this fact does not constitute any valid defense for the victim
whatsoever.

so far, it has - I believe - only been used on some drug dealers in
south america. and I don't believe Dmitry will have the marines send
after him. the point, however, is that the US is not exactly well known
for respecting national boundaries, jurisdictions or other obstacles on
the "one world, one reich" path.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/D88D35A6 2001-11-14 Tom Vogt <tom at lemuria.org>