[free-sklyarov]In D.C. next week

Andrea andrea at gravitt.org
Wed Jul 18 10:46:18 PDT 2001

>I'm going to be in Washington, D. C. next week. What should I do while
>I'm there? Suggestions?

Try to make an appointment to see your Representative or Senator and
politely introduce the issue. It might be hard to do, but you can give it a
shot. It is particularly helpful if yours is on some relevant committee, you
can influence policy if you are in the right place at the right time. You
can do this through the staff in the district offices in advance.

I am working on a letter myself, and I hope that maybe I will have some
impact. My representive is a member of the Committee on International
Relations.

Even if you don't get a meeting, or for those not so geographically
convenient, write a letter. Tell your elected official what the problem is,
why you are concerned, and what this means for the country as a whole. And
do write a letter, although some in Washington are using email, you will
make a much better impression on paper.

Although I have not used it, I understand that www.congress.org offers a
service where they will deliver your message, either by email or paper.

Andrea, in Atlanta